Here we go again.

tario

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So...this is my second time around. I'm going fallow to eliminate ich . I have 4 fish in my tank and plan on removing them and placing them in quarantine. What I wanted help with is that I have a mandarin. Should I leave him inside the DT or should I pull him out also and treat with copper or tank transfer method. Your help would be greatly appreciated.

RyanSweet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my experience the only way to get ich completely eradicated is to remove all fish. The time period is still an argued subject, but I am going fallow for 24 weeks to hopefully rid my tank completely.

DLHDesign

Ex-Noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I wanted help with is that I have a mandarin. Should I leave him inside the DT or should I pull him out also and treat with copper or tank transfer method. Your help would be greatly appreciated.
If your plan is to go fallow in the DT, then you don't have the option of leaving the mandarin in the DT - he has to come out.

I've got a mandarin in QT now (and have since the start of the month). I've found two options that seem the most viable:
Frozen Cyclopod+
This is what I use. When I drop a cube into the QT (10gal), I can see the cyclopods mix into the water. I monitor their density and add a cube as needed (about every other day, or after a transfer).

Live Copepods
I've picked up a few bottles of the Tisbe pods and added them into my DT. I had some in my QT before I started TT, but once I started that, I didn't want to be spending that much on food. Once you are done with TT and into a long-term QT, this might be viable, but note that there won't be much food for the pods in a QT tank, so you would have to be dosing in something they could eat...

Every individual mandarin is different, however, so what is working for me might not for you. Another option/variation is a "Paul B feeder" and some brine shrimp (I tried this, but my mandarin ignored the feeder completely).

FWIW; I would suggest the TT method. It worked (is working, really) for me and seems less error prone than copper. Just my (inexperienced) opinion.

Last edited:
OP
OP
tario

tario

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you so much for everyone that replied...I will do the tank transfer method on the mandarin and place him in a qt tank and purchase some pods . Also I will try my hand in culturing my own pod that I will be able to consistently feed him. Once again, thank you all.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 33 29.7%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 28 25.2%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 22.5%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 24 21.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back