Hermit Crab Moulted?

  • Thread starter Thread starter xbrl001
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

xbrl001

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Jun 7, 2015
Messages
51
Reaction score
4
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a couple dwarf red tip hermit crabs in my new tank. I just noticed what looks like almost the entire body just lying around without his shell. At first I thought maybe one killed the other but they are both in their shells right now. I had no idea the moulted skin was just one big piece and I guess they just slide right out of it? Also, should I take the moulted piece out? Do they somehow feed on their old moulted skin? Sorry if these are stupid questions, I just set up my tank a few weeks ago and I didn't think I'd get to experience this so soon.
 
Most likely yes a molt. I remove them but I know some critters will eat it.
 
If I can reach them I'll remove them as well. They're pretty much inert though. No worries.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 9 23.1%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 5 12.8%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 11 28.2%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 2 5.1%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 1 2.6%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 2 5.1%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 2 5.1%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 7 17.9%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new