Hermit Crab Species and Shell Type Preferences

vaguelyreeflike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve noticed some hermits have specific wants and needs for shells when provided the opportunity, it’s obviously always best to provide a large variety of shells for your crabs to choose from, but I’m trying to figure out which species like which shells the best.

Ive noticed Halloween Hermits like small conch and similar “slit opening” shells.

Post pics of your hermits and an ID of the crab and shell if possible!
Also feel free to post links regarding this subject for more info

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red and blue legs seem to like cerith and nassarius snail style shells. I've seen green legs in turbo snail shells.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve noticed this too! The scarlets almost exclusively use cerith shells, and left handeds like trochus/astrea shapes

I wonder if this has to do with what snails shells are found in their native habitat (i.e. they don't recognize certain shells as homes), or if certain shells change their movement mechanics in ways not favorable to their lifestyle

TheBear78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have both Halloween Black shell hermits (if that's there properly name) and their body shapes are notably different. The Halloween has a very flat body rather than an almost tail like body of the black shell. I assume that the species have evolved into this shape over time but it certainly plays a part in what shell they will accept. The Black shell crabs are not fussy as long as the hole is bigger but the Halloweens won't use anything but the thin slit, Conch type shells.

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder if this has to do with what snails shells are found in their native habitat (i.e. they don't recognize certain shells as homes), or if certain shells change their movement mechanics in ways not favorable to their lifestyle
My understanding is that it primarily has to do with the shape of the inside of the shell (though I'm not entirely sure why), as people have been able to make custom shells for the hermits, and as long as the inside is to the hermit's liking, they'll inhabit the shell. The thread linked below has some great examples, but my favorites that I've seen are the 3D printed hermit shells (you can find a few of these on various 3D printing sites, but some of the best examples are by Japanese artist Aki Inomata).

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd imagine their
My understanding is that it primarily has to do with the shape of the inside of the shell (though I'm not entirely sure why), as people have been able to make custom shells for the hermits, and as long as the inside is to the hermit's liking, they'll inhabit the shell. The thread linked below has some great examples, but my favorites that I've seen are the 3D printed hermit shells (you can find a few of these on various 3D printing sites, but some of the best examples are by Japanese artist Aki Inomata).

That is probably one step before/in addition to my two other guesses in how they choose the shells :)

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 34.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 20 25.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 15.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back