Hermit crabs dropping dead???!?

michaelabellz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have about 15 hermit crabs and so far in past 2 days I’ve seen 3 dead ones. I’ve also noticed that most of them except for a fewer of the small ones are not very active at all. I did read that hermits will at times not move for 3 days but I’ve been noticing them all not be that active for about a week now. I don’t have much in my tank as of right now that could be of much harm to them (Pom Pom crab, 3 scarlet shrimps, a peppermint shrimp, 6 snails and 2 baby clownfish)
My parameters are all perfect except for alk being one point too high at 13 and Ph being a little low at 8.1 (if you want any other parameters comment and I’ll add it on)
I also read that when hermit crabs molt it looks like a dead hermit and is hard to tell the difference between. But I found my Pom Pom crab and my scarlet shrimp eating the dead hermits. If anyone has any idea please feel free to comment. Very much appreciated!

NeonRabbit221B

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recent additions or have they been in the tank a while? As ReeferWarrant stated they will fight for shells as they grow. They can also starve out depending on feeding schedules and availability of food.

OP
OP
michaelabellz

michaelabellz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recent additions or have they been in the tank a while? As ReeferWarrant stated they will fight for shells as they grow. They can also starve out depending on feeding schedules and availability of food.
10 of them are recent (all red dwarfs) I added them around two weeks ago but I had the other 5 for about a month now (blue dwarfs) and I’ve noticed both red and blue dead. And I feed my tank once a day, not a lot but enough for the fish and some extra for the other livestock.

OP
OP
michaelabellz

michaelabellz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are they just molting?
That’s what I don’t know. I’ll add some picture but it’s hard to tell. I assumed not because the shrimp and Pom Pom crab have been eating them.
8C467004-7AE0-458E-99FF-AEF8EADD90FD.jpeg
114EEBD4-98F4-44B7-8B30-AFE2ED5F31A0.jpeg

eggplantparrot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s what I don’t know. I’ll add some picture but it’s hard to tell. I assumed not because the shrimp and Pom Pom crab have been eating them.
8C467004-7AE0-458E-99FF-AEF8EADD90FD.jpeg
114EEBD4-98F4-44B7-8B30-AFE2ED5F31A0.jpeg
I believe that's a molt. they are usually white at the back.

if its truly dead and not eaten then you will most likely see the mushy back side/abdomen

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s a high Alk your running there at 13. Why not run 8-8.5dkh.
High MG certainly slows them down, say beyond 1600ppm

Biokabe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At least from that picture, that looks like a molt to me. Hermit molts look exactly like a dead hermit that's been munched on for a while... because in a way, that's exactly what they are. Other members of your CUC will absolutely nom on molts - lots of good minerals in an old molt.

Once hermits molt, they go into a hiding for a while. They'll usually pick up a new shell at the same time, and they may hold off on molting until they find a shell that they like.

OP
OP
michaelabellz

michaelabellz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s a high Alk your running there at 13. Why not run 8-8.5dkh.
High MG certainly slows them down, say beyond 1600ppm
I know it is high but not by much, most reefers run 8-12 I wanted to run 10 but the salifert test kit i was using before said it was low at around 4 and so we started dosing alk. But then once I purchased the hanna alk checker it read 14. I’ve done 2 water changes since then and it’s gone down to 13.

OP
OP
michaelabellz

michaelabellz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At least from that picture, that looks like a molt to me. Hermit molts look exactly like a dead hermit that's been munched on for a while... because in a way, that's exactly what they are. Other members of your CUC will absolutely nom on molts - lots of good minerals in an old molt.

Once hermits molt, they go into a hiding for a while. They'll usually pick up a new shell at the same time, and they may hold off on molting until they find a shell that they like.
Okay thank you!!!

ddranschak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe that's a molt. they are usually white at the back.

if its truly dead and not eaten then you will most likely see the mushy back side/abdomen
We are brand new to the saltwater scene. We have 4 dwarf red and 4 dwarf blue hermits. One of our dwarf blues look just like the other picture right now. We found this one hidden behind a shell today. They were all moving around well eating up my small diatom bloom two days ago. All other crab are doing well. Can I put a shell or something over it to protect it while molting? I have not located his old shell yet either. Is this normal? Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• 2021-01-09 140253.jpg
    2021-01-09 140253.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 46

noobreefer2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We are brand new to the saltwater scene. We have 4 dwarf red and 4 dwarf blue hermits. One of our dwarf blues look just like the other picture right now. We found this one hidden behind a shell today. They were all moving around well eating up my small diatom bloom two days ago. All other crab are doing well. Can I put a shell or something over it to protect it while molting? I have not located his old shell yet either. Is this normal? Thanks in advance!
Thats a molt :)

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%

Back