hermit crabs ?

  • Thread starter Thread starter jukboxx
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

jukboxx

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Dec 19, 2009
Messages
63
Reaction score
0
Location
pensacola, fl.
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i recently read an online article discussing hermit crabs in a reef tank, in the article it stated that (even though they are great scavengers) they are not entirely greet for a reef tank. some off the reasons stated were " they can damage a corals tissue when they walk on them, they can & do still food from corals". the article states that they say you can get the same (cleaning/ scavengering) from a tank with just a veriety of snails for a clean up crew, along with a few other less damaging crabs such as emeralds. has anyone else heard this? i guess it kinda makes since. i just wanted to throw this out there to get some other insite on this subject.:squigglemouth:
 
I prefer snails only. I had hermits previously and they would pull food away from my corals and then occasionally kill some of my snails.
 
I'm in the same boat, i might keep a few scarlet reefs but I'm pretty much done with herms. I had a lot of trouble over the years with them. Bought a bunch of Tongan nass snails and with on a week the blue legs killed them for their shells. We all know Tongans aren't cheap, so needless to say i was pretty angry. I also got a dendro and the stupid herms kept stealing it's food and tearing it's flesh while doing it.
 
i know they are not cheap here, i have had that happen to me also... i am thinking about adding more to my CUC, and i think i will stay away from adding more hermits.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 1 11.1%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 3 33.3%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 1 11.1%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 1 11.1%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 1 11.1%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 2 22.2%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new