Hermits In Your Reef??

Hermits allowed in your tank? (scarlet or blue leg)

• YES

Votes: 84 66.1%
  • NO WAY

Votes: 26 20.5%
  • YES but they are not good citizens

Votes: 17 13.4%

• Total voters

AmyC

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've always kept a few as scavangers and I've kept the scarlet or the blue leg, I think I like the blue leg better because they seem to stay smaller but I swear I've seen the red leg eat cyno. I have never kept them in the numbers that stores recommend I keep about 5 to 10 in a 75 gallon tank

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have had blue legs and scarlets.... They both kill snails esp. cerith snails. Hell the crabs will kill each other for the shells.
They are both like to pick at corals and steal food. They also like to climb on and irritate corals esp. gorgonians and leathers. As far as grazers go they do not eat much, a astrea eats more.

Dave

workn4frags

Cespitularia Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
go for the blue legs, the scarlets get a little bigger and tend to knock things over more. + the blues cruzzz all over the tank, I don't see my scarlets move that much.

bkv1997

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
David:

Don't turn back to the dark side.... Crabs are the Devil... Get more snails and shrimp.

Well I was scared by a buddy at one time and I evicted all of my crabs. Now I wonder if they would help keep the algae in check a little in the frag tank and maybe drop a few in the main..

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
David:

Don't turn back to the dark side.... Crabs are the Devil... Get more snails and shrimp.

LOL! This is the buddy! :D Everything seems fine with the crabs so far! :hammer:

Rcpilot

Addicted to LPS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had 3 red legged mexican crabs in my 30g reef. I also have about 50 shells of various sizes for them to constantly swap in and out of.

They are great. I have 14 astreas, 4 margarites, 1 diamond watchman goby, 1 6-line wrasse and one ocellaris clown. I've got 9 zoa colonies, 2 mushroom colonies, 1 acopora, 1 clonoy of brown butrtons, 2 feather dusters and 1 colony of yellow polyps. The crabs don't mess with any of my tank ihbabitants.

aquarius77

¡ Viva la revolución!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep hermits, they do a job and they are entertaining. My kids love the crabs...

I have a few scarlet and a nice population of dwarf blue legs.

ficklefins

Super Duper Moderator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just put some blue leg hermits in my tank and so far so good. My pygmy angel does more damage to my nassarius snails than my hermits. The only thing I wish I had more of in my tank are large turbo snails.

Hypertek99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep blue legs with no problem. I did have Scarlets but they don't move around much. The just sit in one place all day long. I tried zebra hermits they are nice and small but man do they grow fast within a few months they are as big as turbo snails and the one big claw they have gets aggressive. I ended up feeding all mine to my mantis when they got big. It was cool to watch as the mantis was smaller than the zebra hermits and you can see the hermits run in fear.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back