Hey what is the best SALT to use???

Fishko

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s been years since I’ve tried a different salt, but I always stick with Tropic Marin Pro. I’ve tried a few cheap ones a decade plus ago, including Red Sea and reef crystals, but there was a visual difference in when switched to Tropic Marin Pro.

Right now I’m giving Tropic Marin Bio-Activ a shot to see how I like it. It’s too early for me to make a judgement on that one.
Does the salt mix up to an alk of 7 or 8ish for you, the tropic marin pro

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know alkalinity is the most important but beside that what other elements should I focus on?
Basically you should be testing at least for alk, calcium and magnesium. You can use a doser to replenish as needed. If you don’t stock many corals, water changes should be enough to replenish elements. I’d stay away from salts that have a high alkalinity when first starting off. Red Sea coral pro has an alk of 13 at 1.0126 salinity I think. It’s too high for a new aquarium.

ReeferSteve

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can use any, I've seen amazing tanks with reef crystals. But if I had to choose and price was no concern...

1. ESV B Ionic
2. Tropic Marin pro reef

Again, salt is not gonna be the determining factor in your success. If you have money to burn, get one of these. If you don't just buy reef crystals.
I think this might be the best summary on this ever popular debate.

I’m choosing ESV for my new setup because

A. I don’t do WC’s so price isn’t a big deal.
B. I don’t like residue when mixing whenever I do mix.
C. I love the 4 part system and the ability to hit my chosen alk level.

But if those factors weren’t factors to me I would have just gone with reef crystals.

Erick Armanii

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was using reef crystals for a while and recently switched to trop marine pro... it mixes incredibly fast and very clean with no residue left behind.

my levels have all been very consistent since I switched over..

K7BMG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Regular Instant ocean and some love...
4E8DCB71-6F94-420B-B3B8-088767F2E5FA.jpeg
This is a perfect example of a good reef keeper that know's what they are doing.
Good job love the tank.

Luis1992

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use aquavitro salinity. Has guaranteed parameters printed directly on it. Seriously the best I’ve tried.

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve tried most of the big name brands that are commonly used. Tropic marin pro is the cleanest and most consistent, well worth the minimal extra cost.

Juan Andrés Botero R

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It depends on the type of tank: fish only, soft corals, hard coral, mixed reef? Choose the one that matches your tank parameters as much as possible!, and make a plan to supplement macros and micros according to the live stock demand!. It took me a while to realize that water changes with a heavy life stock are not enough to keep on with the tank macro and micro elements needs!

Jordan Prather

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started with instant ocean and honestly wasnt a fan. Could have been just because I was new. Jumped over to aquaforest and stuck with it for about a year and a half and was happy. When quantum arrived in the us I jumped on it the first day it arrived at my lfs. Before it was even on the floor. I have been ecstatic since. Acros that were stagnant and doing nothing started growing. Colors look amazing and water was clearer. Everybody focuses on the big three cal alk and mag I however believe with premium salt you get more of the micro elements and that is what encourages my accelerated growth.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't we just link to the million other threads about which salt is best? lol

Aquarium salt is aquarium salt, use whatever makes you and your tank happy.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started with instant ocean and honestly wasnt a fan. Could have been just because I was new. Jumped over to aquaforest and stuck with it for about a year and a half and was happy. When quantum arrived in the us I jumped on it the first day it arrived at my lfs. Before it was even on the floor. I have been ecstatic since. Acros that were stagnant and doing nothing started growing. Colors look amazing and water was clearer. Everybody focuses on the big three cal alk and mag I however believe with premium salt you get more of the micro elements and that is what encourages my accelerated growth.
And yet we have a large coral packed tank a few pages back run on IO. Once you've been in the hobby a while, you realize salt is salt, and its the one place you can actually save money instead of wasting it on the new hotness, or what BRS is shilling this month(remember BRS is a great company, but at the end of the day they are in business to sell you stuff, including expensive salt).

Jordan Prather

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And yet we have a large coral packed tank a few pages back run on IO. Once you've been in the hobby a while, you realize salt is salt, and its the one place you can actually save money instead of wasting it on the new hotness, or what BRS is shilling this month(remember BRS is a great company, but at the end of the day they are in business to sell you stuff, including expensive salt).
I'm absolutely not saying you cant have a beautiful tank running instant ocean or any other salt. What I ment is I think higher quality salt can make it easier. I've seen plenty of amazing tanks running instant ocean so I cant really knock it. Just it wasnt for me when I tried it. I think having a higher quality salt has helped me since I'm not constantly monitoring iodine potassium and other micro elements that I think has benefited my tank.

attilak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I switched from Red Sea Pro to Tropic Marin Reef and the results are much better,

NanoDJS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive used em all , and its basically whats the cheapest and mixes to my alk closest , like was said by many , I run 9 dkh so I get anything that will mix to 8 ish , I dose daily so I can makeup whatever is lacking. Been using fritz blue box for 4 years , super cheap and worked great so far. I may go and try redsea blue bucket , since my lfs is out of frtiz ( did fish o'hex buy all the fritz ? loz )

K7BMG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One salt I never hear about but my LFS carries is Salinity.
I understand its an older brand but know nothing about it.
Price wise its in the more expensive salt category.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 42.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 24 20.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 34.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back