Hi all, new reefer.

codenfx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! I've been in the freshwater hobby for about 28 years now, still have 2 tanks. Lately I've been interested in trying saltwater side. I've done many research and countless of Youtube videos including BRS 52 weeks. I'm still on the fence as it's quite an expensive hobby and seems there's a lot of problems that can occur within the saltwater world which is what's holding me back as of now. I had been debating with myself if I should start with a small nano tank just to get a taste which I know can be challenging for a new reefer and see if I can handle it or as I read from many others that to go big as I can. Currently eyeing the Waterbox Cube 20, Marine X 60.2 or 90.3. I've never had a sump before and it seems sump is the way to go if I were to go bigger. If I do dive in, I would like to do a mix reef of Softie/LPS with some clownfish, blennies, goby/pistol shrimp and possibly other nano fish.

Let's say if I were to get the Marine X 90.3 which is a 3 ft tank, would it be better if I get one XR15 G5 or two AI Prime HD with softies/LPS in mind as it's nearly the same price?

Thanks for your time reading my introduction!

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!!!

Clownfish.gif

thatone08

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome! I went the nano route. Started the evo 13.5. Just put some live stock in the 20g Red Sea. There are days where I wish I had a bigger tank. There’s are days where I’m content. The biggest thing I would say, is how much time during the week you have to dedicate to maintenance and testing. Smaller tanks will swing really quick. If you have the time I would say test out the nano. You’ll experience the ups and downs on a smaller scale, and if you find out you prefer freshwater, you haven’t spent to much into. Good luck!

Gedxin

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!

I have a Marine X 35.1 and absolutely love the Marine line from Waterbox. As for size, you're really just gonna have to wrestle with this. I'd say you should go as large as you're "comfortable" with. Bigger gives you so many more options, but it also increases cost and increases maintenance time. If you're comfortable with that, go big!

OP
OP
codenfx

codenfx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!

I have a Marine X 35.1 and absolutely love the Marine line from Waterbox. As for size, you're really just gonna have to wrestle with this. I'd say you should go as large as you're "comfortable" with. Bigger gives you so many more options, but it also increases cost and increases maintenance time. If you're comfortable with that, go big!
That’s what I was thinking. I’m leaning towards the 60.2 it’s a good size not too big and not too small.

Thanks everyone for the welcome and feedback!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back