Hello and welcome!

Screenshot_20200919-020934_Google.jpg

ShepherdReefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, thanks for including me in your forum.

I've been into reefing for about two and a half years. I have a 70g mixed reef setup, and am contemplating setting up a 60g FOWLR tank.

I live in the rural city of Bendigo, in SE Australia. It's quite a challenge being a reefer here, when the nearest marine LFS is a hundred miles away. On top of that, Melbourne has been in strict COVID lockdown since July, so I can't go there anyway. :)

My tank has a yellow tang, a royal dottyback, a couple of assessors, an ocellaris clownfish, a black and white clownfish, and a blue-green chromis. The CUC consists of trochus snails, turbo snails, and strombus snails. By way of corals, I have some hammers, torches, on open brain coral, a duncan, an eagle eye zoa, a plate coral, a few morphs, a turbinaria and a couple of lobos.

I have some problems. The tank is infested with both vermetid snails and aiptasia. I've given up on the snails, and am trying to kill off the aiptasia as I see it. There is a lot of it, though. I don't think that either outbreak is bothering the corals too much, but they sure do make the tank look ugly. I did have zombie snails, a sand-sifting star and a chocolate goby cleaning my sand, but they all appear to have passed away, so I need to get my sand cleaner. Finally, I need more rock. and then more corals to go on that rock. (Who doesn't?). That's a longer term project, as I am bleaching and then curing some dry rock that I have.

I've attached some photos, hopefully good enough to give you an idea. Some of them are not that clear; sorry.

20200706_173921.jpg 20200706_174246.jpg 20200706_174542.jpg 20200706_174558.jpg 20201006_200753.jpg 20201016_102548.jpg

Super nice tank, welcome to the group.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Welcome across the globe And to the R2R community !!

Conchman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Greetings, not sure if I missed in the posts, but G'day. Hope you stop by often. I have some Vermetids, no Aiptaisa. Aiptaisa sounds like it can be managed, I gave up on the vermetids. Some get encrusted over, others seem to just pull back. Again, welcome

eddawse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there!
Im also new to the forum (and back into reefing after an 8 year hiatus!).
Im in Victoria too, but the other end! Im in Mount Eliza and dont want to brag but my LFS is a 5 minute drive - Bunarong Aquarium.
Nice to see some Aussie reefers on here!!

OP
OP
GregfromOz

GregfromOz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there!
Im also new to the forum (and back into reefing after an 8 year hiatus!).
Im in Victoria too, but the other end! Im in Mount Eliza and dont want to brag but my LFS is a 5 minute drive - Bunarong Aquarium.
Nice to see some Aussie reefers on here!!

That's a great LFS from all accounts. My go-to is the Deer Park Aquarium, which went fully marine not so long ago. Good news for you yesterday, with lockdowns ceasing!.

Mkkari

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, thanks for including me in your forum.

I've been into reefing for about two and a half years. I have a 70g mixed reef setup, and am contemplating setting up a 60g FOWLR tank.

I live in the rural city of Bendigo, in SE Australia. It's quite a challenge being a reefer here, when the nearest marine LFS is a hundred miles away. On top of that, Melbourne has been in strict COVID lockdown since July, so I can't go there anyway. :)

My tank has a yellow tang, a royal dottyback, a couple of assessors, an ocellaris clownfish, a black and white clownfish, and a blue-green chromis. The CUC consists of trochus snails, turbo snails, and strombus snails. By way of corals, I have some hammers, torches, on open brain coral, a duncan, an eagle eye zoa, a plate coral, a few morphs, a turbinaria and a couple of lobos.

I have some problems. The tank is infested with both vermetid snails and aiptasia. I've given up on the snails, and am trying to kill off the aiptasia as I see it. There is a lot of it, though. I don't think that either outbreak is bothering the corals too much, but they sure do make the tank look ugly. I did have zombie snails, a sand-sifting star and a chocolate goby cleaning my sand, but they all appear to have passed away, so I need to get my sand cleaner. Finally, I need more rock. and then more corals to go on that rock. (Who doesn't?). That's a longer term project, as I am bleaching and then curing some dry rock that I have.

I've attached some photos, hopefully good enough to give you an idea. Some of them are not that clear; sorry.

20200706_173921.jpg 20200706_174246.jpg 20200706_174542.jpg 20200706_174558.jpg 20201006_200753.jpg 20201016_102548.jpg
Welcome to the family.

Aquatic acrobat in your aquarium: Have you ever kept an eel?

• I currently keep an eel in my tank.

Votes: 29 14.9%
  • I have kept an eel in my tank in the past.

Votes: 32 16.4%
  • I have not kept an eel in my tank, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 35 17.9%
  • I have no plans to keep an eel.

Votes: 96 49.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.5%
Back