CFC1DE6F-7D44-416A-BDD4-999C2B4827CD.jpeg

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

As I plan to spend a lot of time learning from you all on these forums, I thought it would be good to introduce myself.
My name is Erik, I'm a 39 year old entrepreneur in software engineering. Living with my partner, two kids (girls, 6 and 9) and our little zoo consisting of a dog (border collie), a cat, Icelandic horses, chickens, rabbits and fish (30 Malawi cichlids, 14 discus and a planted community tank). My passions are, obviously, animals but also technology and fast cars (EV nut but also have petrol sports cars).

I've had freshwater aquariums since the age of 8 so I think I have kept about every freshwater fish out there that is suitable for home tanks.
Over the years I've been wanting to go salt water many times but never took the leap. But I always promised myself that one day, if I ever bought a nice large house, I would treat myself to a proper large salt water tank. That day has finally come! This week I should be receiving my new Red Sea Reefer 625 XXL (deluxe G2) system. Including 2x Red Sea Reefwave 45, 3x Red Sea ReefLed 90, Deltec 600i and an Aqua Medic DC Runner 5.3. And of course all the stuff needed to get up and running like large boxes of Real Reef rocks, live sand and an RO system.

I honestly can't wait to get going. I'm aware that the journey will come with some failures as well. But I plan to keep those to a minimum with lots and lots of research and asking stupid questions everywhere I can (sorry in advance!! ;))

Hi Erik and Welcome! Glad you joined. This is a great family hobby, and I'm excited that you are sure to be sharing your passion with the next generation!

Have you considered starting your build thread? I found its a great place to document my tank's evolution for myself. I started tank first then joined, so I'm still finding myself going back collecting pictures & updating historically as well as current state. Once you create your first post in your thread under Forum > Member Aquariums and link it to your account, they will give you build badge (look left, under my ID). It is never too early.

This might help you find people local to you in the Netherlands:

This is a good reference book type online article I still review:

OP
OP
ErikVR

ErikVR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Erik and Welcome! Glad you joined. This is a great family hobby, and I'm excited that you are sure to be sharing your passion with the next generation!

Have you considered starting your build thread? I found its a great place to document my tank's evolution for myself. I started tank first then joined, so I'm still finding myself going back collecting pictures & updating historically as well as current state. Once you create your first post in your thread under Forum > Member Aquariums and link it to your account, they will give you build badge (look left, under my ID). It is never too early.

This might help you find people local to you in the Netherlands:

This is a good reference book type online article I still review:
Once I get going, I’ll start documenting. Unfortunately the side panels of the cabinet were damaged during shipping. I’m still waiting for the replacements.

All I could do is hook up my RO/DI system and start producing the 600+ liters needed to fill up the tank. I was surprised how much water is wasted in the process so I got a big extra rainwater collection bin that I’m using to direct the ‘waste’ water into.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 35.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 36 30.0%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back