Hi from the Space Coast

Beach House

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey there, this is my first post... anywhere... ever!

So, we live in Florida and have a Red Sea 650 Peninsula. We moved into a really cool house 2 years ago and wanted an awesome tank to greet us (and guests) as we enter the house. Long story short, we have achieved that... but. We started thinking we were going to use a 150 gal acrylic tank that was given to us. It had scratches which I was in the process of buffing out, when on a trip over to Orlando, we visited Mecca (aka WWC) and saw one of their Red Sea tanks for sale. My wife said get rid of that acrylic thing, we're getting one of those. That was the best really expensive decision we could have made. Fast forward after a lot of work we are struggling with keeping any coral other than palys or zoas or gsp's or xenias alive. I plan to do a build thread to show off what we have done right and get suggestions on what we have done not so right.
History: I met my now wife in 2011 in Jacksonville, FL and we started our first tank in 2012. It was a 30 gal that we filled with ocean water and live sand I got from across the street. Oh, that tank was free, too. And yes, I can be a cheap SOB! We quickly graduated to a 55 gal ,then to a 90 gal. I then got a job that required me to move to NJ. I sold the tank and most of my equipment. We missed reefing big time and was able to move back south and start back up. This time we decided to not be cheap suns-o-beaches. So here we are, hair algea running wild and corals not doing so well, but we'll get there, with a little help from our new friends here at R2R.

Here's the before and after... More on that in our build post, but bottom line is this is our dream tank, we just want the contents to be a dream.

What is that? Roman columns in Florida? Uhhhh, no!

7.jpg

It went from a wet bar to a wet bar

20200810 - Red Sea.jpg

RobB'z Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey there, this is my first post... anywhere... ever!

So, we live in Florida and have a Red Sea 650 Peninsula. We moved into a really cool house 2 years ago and wanted an awesome tank to greet us (and guests) as we enter the house. Long story short, we have achieved that... but. We started thinking we were going to use a 150 gal acrylic tank that was given to us. It had scratches which I was in the process of buffing out, when on a trip over to Orlando, we visited Mecca (aka WWC) and saw one of their Red Sea tanks for sale. My wife said get rid of that acrylic thing, we're getting one of those. That was the best really expensive decision we could have made. Fast forward after a lot of work we are struggling with keeping any coral other than palys or zoas or gsp's or xenias alive. I plan to do a build thread to show off what we have done right and get suggestions on what we have done not so right.
History: I met my now wife in 2011 in Jacksonville, FL and we started our first tank in 2012. It was a 30 gal that we filled with ocean water and live sand I got from across the street. Oh, that tank was free, too. And yes, I can be a cheap SOB! We quickly graduated to a 55 gal ,then to a 90 gal. I then got a job that required me to move to NJ. I sold the tank and most of my equipment. We missed reefing big time and was able to move back south and start back up. This time we decided to not be cheap suns-o-beaches. So here we are, hair algea running wild and corals not doing so well, but we'll get there, with a little help from our new friends here at R2R.

Here's the before and after... More on that in our build post, but bottom line is this is our dream tank, we just want the contents to be a dream.

What is that? Roman columns in Florida? Uhhhh, no!

7.jpg

It went from a wet bar to a wet bar

20200810 - Red Sea.jpg
Sweet set up welcome!

BeltedCoyote

Philosopher king of the Memes
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
giphy.gif

Welcome to R2R!!! Man that looks slick. If I ever have the opportunity to recess a tank in a wall like that, I’ll jump on that in a heartbeat. As things stand, the house my future wife and I are buying has a nice living room area where I’ve been given the green light to put an absurdly large tank so that it’ll be a focal point. I’m seriously thinking about making the stand a “build in”. But I digress.

welcome again friend! We’re all so happy to have you!!

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.3%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.6%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 87 79.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.6%
Back