Hi from the UK

Haydn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My name as you may have guessed is Haydn- yes really! I live in the UK. I have been keeping marines for some 50 years- and yes I do remember undergravel filters.

In my time I have had a number of tanks, my current one is a 2m x 1m x 1m system including the sump it holds around 2500litres of water in total. I am currently restocking it after doing a complete strip down and rebuild to eradicate the plague of majanos which totally overtook the tank. In this incarnation of the tank I am doing something different (OK this is where I get controversial) I am not adding any tangs. All the issues I have experienced over the years have been tang related, in the last build of the tank I had a PB we called Psycho I couldn't put any new fish in with it, it even hunted down and killed 6 Chromis! Previously I have had tangs which developed whitespots if I added new fish, rearranged the décor or looked at them harshly! I had a stunning Chevron which grew to 10"+ and I couldn't maintain a low nitrate/phosphate value and my corals browned out.
So this time, no tangs!

The tank currently has a number of small fish- Fang blennies, Royal gammas, and Anthias of various varieties all in groups. One of the downsides of not having tangs is it has taken a long time for the tank to go through its various algae stages so the coral population is still low but it's getting there and hopefully I should be increasing the coral stock.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!!
welcome12_af875eaa887ed91c39e4c81c7d4fd966-0ed06ab93ea565647147c6beddbca4eb.gif
giphy.gif

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome and glad to have you here!

OP
OP
Haydn

Haydn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the welcome guys. I'm a bit ashamed of the tank at the moment it isn't looking at it's best due to the cycling. But I will put up some pictures if you promise to be gentle with me.
I am surprised with the lack of comments about no tangs, when I have commented on not stocking them I found it polarises people, I get either 'well done, I agree' or 'you must be mad, lovely fish' replies:);)

OP
OP
Haydn

Haydn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK I said I would post a photo or two. Be gentle

fts-jpg.1243100

My Timor Wrasse I have 3 this is the male
timor2-jpg.1202544

One of the two females
timor1-jpg.1202543

I have 12 Ignitus anthias
flame-anthias2-jpg.1232758

If anyone knows how to get better pictures under LEDs can they let me know, I've tried everything I know.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.0%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back