Hi! Newbie here!

johnrb3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone my name is Trey and I'd like to thank everyone already for all the help while a stalked the forum before joining! I'm a soon to be new reefer from Dallas, Tx. I'm currently in the process of planning my purchases…from tank to pumps, lighting, and etc. I’m currently, focused on a lot of the Red Sea equipment. I’m thinking about the Red Sea 170 but I can’t decide yet between the AIO system or the reefer system with sump. My only worry with them is the use of the metric system for plumbing. Hopefully, that won’t be too much of an issue?! Thank you so much in advance!

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!!! Bulk Reef Supply has plenty of metric-to-standard PVC adapters.

Clownfish.gif

Evo R

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R !!!

Just remember that the Red Sea 170 comes with the plumbing needed for the sump included.

Just some Pro,s and Con,s to consider between the 170 AIO and the standard 170 with sump.

In the 170 AIO the DT area is slightly smaller because of the "built in" sump area.
Fairly limited but not completely limited to choices of Mechanical, Bio and Chemical filtration that will fiscally fit in the AIO chambers.
If you want to run your wave makers from the back wall, you have to be curtain that the out side magnet is submersible and water tight. Because rusty magnets in your tank will give you heaps of problems, you can count on it!

Some plus points for the AIO, you are not limited to the standard Red Sea cabinet as your sump area is in your DT and therefor can place your new tank on any counter or other furniture in you house if you wanted. Because the sump is smaller, water change size is smaller. Hardware costs are mostly less due to smaller size items. ect ect.

Hope this helps.

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone my name is Trey and I'd like to thank everyone already for all the help while a stalked the forum before joining! I'm a soon to be new reefer from Dallas, Tx. I'm currently in the process of planning my purchases…from tank to pumps, lighting, and etc. I’m currently, focused on a lot of the Red Sea equipment. I’m thinking about the Red Sea 170 but I can’t decide yet between the AIO system or the reefer system with sump. My only worry with them is the use of the metric system for plumbing. Hopefully, that won’t be too much of an issue?! Thank you so much in advance!

Hi Trey and Welcome!

I'm Lisa in Grand Prairie which makes us next door neighbors - though Dallas is HUGE!! DFW has 'beltway' (Beltline) and sufficient highways to remind me of back home's DC area Beltway... but SCALE of land is so much different here than back home. Even with 75mph highway speeds on tollways, etc it takes so much longer from point A to point B just because points are spread so much further apart.

Glad you've already received good info on comparing those two versions as I'd have to defer to others.

FYI dfwmas.org let me know October 30 & 31 Aquashella is coming to Dallas

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 46 35.1%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 21.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.6%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.6%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 33 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back