Welcome!
clam GIF

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! My name is Christine and I’m happy to be here! :)

I recently started a 75 gallon Aqueon tank, which sits on a cinder block/2x4 stand. List of ingredients: Live rock and sand, Tunze 9012 skimmer, 3 Hygger power heads, prepared saltwater using Instant Ocean reef crystals (although I’m contemplating changing to Tropic Marin) after going through Aquatic Life rodi system, and I’m trying to decide between the Neptune Sky or Kessil lights. My goal is to have a predominant SPS tank. I do understand the odds are slim due to my basic setup, but I’m giving it a go! Dr Tim’s fishless cycle is on day 3, probably overkill since I already had live rock, so I’m creating my fish list while I wait for my tank to cycle. I can’t wait!

I look forward to learning from all the experienced reefers here on reef2reef, thanks for having me!

Christine
aka oldlady4am
Hi Christine, and welcome. I am sure you have a plastic trim for the top of you tank with a piece that crosses the tank in the middle, will cast a shadow in your reef and I think just 2oo watts is not enough. Keep in mind that the one light you choose may not be sufficient that reason (the shadow). That is why I have a light the Cobalt C-Ray 200 (200 watts) in the middle and two Kessils a360x (90 watts each) one on each side. I would go with the ap9x because it has two pucks like mine, no wasteful light from the middle brace. Total of 360 watts, I really think you will need all this wattage.

Attachments

• IMG_0010.JPG
    IMG_0010.JPG
    197.9 KB · Views: 20
  • Screenshot 2022-06-27 at 06-51-22 C-Ray 200 Black 200W LED With Mounting Arm Combo- Cobalt Aqu...png
    Screenshot 2022-06-27 at 06-51-22 C-Ray 200 Black 200W LED With Mounting Arm Combo- Cobalt Aqu...png
    493.8 KB · Views: 16

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Christine, and welcome. I am sure you have a plastic trim for the top of you tank with a piece that crosses the tank in the middle, will cast a shadow in your reef and I think just 2oo watts is not enough. Keep in mind that the one light you choose may not be sufficient that reason (the shadow). That is why I have a light the Cobalt C-Ray 200 (200 watts) in the middle and two Kessils a360x (90 watts each) one on each side. I would go with the ap9x because it has two pucks like mine, no wasteful light from the middle brace. Total of 360 watts, I really think you will need all this wattage.
The Kessil ap9x, and two Kessil's a360x one on each side, if you have the money of course.

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Kessil ap9x, and two Kessil's a360x one on each side, if you have the money of course.
To save money I would get two of the Viparspectra's 165 watt, one for each half of the tank. I used the Vipar 3oo watt on my 46 gallon bowfront, it is a great light for the money. You can get 2 Vipar's for half the cost of the Kessil ap9x and will serve you well for a few years until you want to upgrade.

OP
OP
old_lady_4am

old_lady_4am

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! And yes the brace down the middle. Should I get 2 ap9x? One for either side of the brace?

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! And yes the brace down the middle. Should I get 2 ap9x? One for either side of the brace?
If you have the money to spend then go for it. It is a little overkill but will be good if you plan on upgrading to a larger tank in the near future. They are so expensive. When I first got into the hobby I started with my 46 bowfront that was fresh water, I didn't want to spend that kind of money at the time so I went with the so called black box Viparspectra 300 and was a great light for the money. But you get what you can afford, get the best.

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now that I think about it, if you are going to spend that kind of money I think you would be better off getting 4 of the kessil's a360x, if one light burns out you still have 3 pucks. With the larger ones you have 2 pucks in one unit and if 1 burns out now you loose 2, something to think about.

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now that I think about it, if you are going to spend that kind of money I think you would be better off getting 4 of the kessil's a360x, if one light burns out you still have 3 pucks. With the larger ones you have 2 pucks in one unit and if 1 burns out now you loose 2, something to think about.
The nice thing is you can link them all together.
edit; you will need the unit that operates all of them,

H-Series Spectral Controller - Kessil​

Last edited:

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back