High Ammonia level after 10% water change

Baigent87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Guys!!! I’m new here so take it easy on me

I’m 1 week into my cycle using 2 clownfish and a bottle of Dr Tim’s One & Only.

After testing once a day for the past week I’ve seen a large spike in ammonia (1.2) which has held strong for the past 4 days. I was advised by my local aquatics store to do a 10% water change which I’ve done, I retested after a couple of hours and the ammonia levels are still at 1.2.

The fish seem fine, darting around the tank and eating great. I’ve reduced there meals to one medium feed per day as was feeding twice a day.

Should I do another larger water change or wait for the drop in ammonia?

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never understood why nitrite tests even exist.
IMO - it is the best tool in order to see (in a reliably way) if your cycle is done or not. The first step is normally working in a couple of days and ammonia testing (with hobby tests) is not very reliable. It is between the two step - the problem can occur. Nitrite test are normally very reliable - even hobby tests - Test that I have used i -Tropic Marines NO2/NO3 pro test and Hanna ULR marine nitrite checker - is very accurate - IMO. You will detect a rise in NO2 after 4 - 10 days often followed of a fast decrease. The decrease is the sign you need in order to know that the nitrification cycle is done.

Sincerely Lasse

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Baigent87

Baigent87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guys I’m so sorry, especially to @Lasse as he took the time to write a very long specific response to my problem!

Confessions of a newbie! I’ve completely mixed up my nitrite test my nitrate test. I tested again today (on my birthday = dedication)

So in actual fact my ammonia is still very high at 2, my nitrate is at 5 and my nitrite has spiked from 0.2 to 0.5
Sorry guys :(

Upvote 0

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No worry - we are here to help. If you decide to feed - feed very, very little and wait a couple of days before next feeding. Concentrate on nitrite readings, check the ammonium but skip the nitrate - as long as you read nitrite - the nitrate will report a false value. We will work this out.

Sincerely Lasse

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Baigent87

Baigent87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok …… so. Ammonia is very gradually falling and my nitrite is now at 1! I’m assuming I’m well into my cycle at this point? I’m assuming I continue to test daily and wait for a fall in both nitrite and ammonia?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    163.9 KB · Views: 27
Upvote 0

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometimes it just stall of no apparently reasons for a long time. Once (in the 70:ties) a small SW aquarium show more red than yours for more than 3 weeks. No bottled nitrification bacteria at that time. I got the tip from a friend about filtered forest soil and I test that. In the morning - more than 2 ppm NO2 - in the evening - no at all. however I had both undergravel filter and a hang on filter. Do you have a small internal foam filter for fresh water?

Sincerely Lasse

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Baigent87

Baigent87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry I’ve been a bit quiet folks. Work, life and such :) @Lasse I’m currently running intank filtration chambers containing filter floss, bio balls, sponge and carbon.

my ammonia has been at 0 for the past 2 days but my NO2 has been off the charts for the past 3-4 days with no signs of coming down. I did my weekly 20% water change today but still no change.

I’m assuming it’s just a case of patience at this stage and more testing? Both clowns are still duking it out but are feeding and are alert so no concern there.

Upvote 0

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Of some reasons that I can´t explain - it seems to be total impossible to dilute NO2 with WC. The only way I can recommend is to add nitrospira or use the soil method. Do you feed your fish for the moment? In the start - it could be lack of P. Do you have reef roids at your fish food shelf?

For the book: Because you read 0 in total ammonia now (1.2 before) it shows clearly that you had an total ammonia problem in the start (it was not a total false reading) - so it was right to assume that you may had a problem and need to adress that for free NH3 kill saltwater fish.

IMO - you need not to be afraid for your clowns with high nitrite - saltwater fish manage high nitrite concentrations. Had it been a fresh water aquarium - all your fish would be dead now. However - the nitrite concentration shows that you are not fully cycled (the nitrification process) and you should await a lower nitrite readings before you buy more fishes - IMO

Sincerely Lasse

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Baigent87

Baigent87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20-25% water change today. N02 is now down to 0.2 :) ammonia is at 0! My N03 have come down from 50 to 10 which is great but still kind of frustrating as it seems my tank is still going through it’s cycle

Upvote 0

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your 10 reading of NO3 is not a valid reading. Your 0.2 in nitrite give you a false reading of nitrate. In short Nitrate tests works that way that they during a certain time convert some NO3 into NO2. After the time has gone (probably 9 minutes in your case ) you read the NITRITE concentration. The manufactures have construct a colour chart there reaction time and amount converted nitrate give you a reading of total nitrate. If you already have nitrite in your water - your colour chart assume that it is converted nitrate and you can have a factor between 50 and 100. In your case - your 0,2 ppm probably correspond to nearly all read nitrate. When your nitrite is down below 0.05 - your fine IMO. Because you did a WC - do not be surprised if your nitrite concentration will rise a little again.

Sincerely Lasse

Upvote 0

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Hi Guys!!! I’m new here so take it easy on me

I’m 1 week into my cycle using 2 clownfish and a bottle of Dr Tim’s One & Only.

After testing once a day for the past week I’ve seen a large spike in ammonia (1.2) which has held strong for the past 4 days. I was advised by my local aquatics store to do a 10% water change which I’ve done, I retested after a couple of hours and the ammonia levels are still at 1.2.

The fish seem fine, darting around the tank and eating great. I’ve reduced there meals to one medium feed per day as was feeding twice a day.

Should I do another larger water change or wait for the drop in ammonia?
Welcome to Reef2Reef! Just keep hanging in there. Great place to learn and ask questions!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Baigent87

Baigent87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your 10 reading of NO3 is not a valid reading. Your 0.2 in nitrite give you a false reading of nitrate. In short Nitrate tests works that way that they during a certain time convert some NO3 into NO2. After the time has gone (probably 9 minutes in your case ) you read the NITRITE concentration. The manufactures have construct a colour chart there reaction time and amount converted nitrate give you a reading of total nitrate. If you already have nitrite in your water - your colour chart assume that it is converted nitrate and you can have a factor between 50 and 100. In your case - your 0,2 ppm probably correspond to nearly all read nitrate. When your nitrite is down below 0.05 - your fine IMO. Because you did a WC - do not be surprised if your nitrite concentration will rise a little again.

Sincerely Lasse
0 N02 today Lasse :) 2 ammonia and 0.2 N03. I think I’m nearly cycled right?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Baigent87

Baigent87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you mean 0 or 0.2 in ammonia - you have arrived safely to your home :D

Sincerely Lasse
Ammonia is 0.2 :) Amazing! What do I do now LOL. Was going to continue to test and add my last fish (yellow watchmen) I have some brown spots appearing in my sand. Not sure if they’re are diatoms? Probably to early for a shrimp or 2 right?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Baigent87

Baigent87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ammonia is 0.2 :) Amazing! What do I do now LOL. Was going to continue to test and add my last fish (yellow watchmen) I have some brown spots appearing in my sand. Not sure if they’re are diatoms? Probably to early for a shrimp or 2 right?
I just checked out your link on that amazing build!!! What an achievement. It must have taken forever and a day to have that up and running?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Baigent87

Baigent87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
C947A553-8BE4-4C9B-AB25-549DFE72E6E6.jpeg

It’s been 4-5 weeks now and my it sounds like my tank has now fully cycled :) I’ve also started noticing these brown spots appear over the past few weeks and I’m unsure whether this is waste, diatoms or algae? I purposely left the light off whilst the tank cycled, although the picture I attached shows the side of the aquarium that sees minimal sunlight.

Should I maybe post this in a separate thread?

Upvote 0

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do not rise your feed to much and to fast. The nitrification bacteria growth is slow - may double itself every one or second day. You may add a clean up crew now - start your light on low intensity a day or two before the introduction of the CUC. It is also possible to add easy corals at this point. For CUC - I prefer different species of hermits and snails. You will probably end up with small patches of brown algae (probably diatoms) in sand and on rocks. It can take time before they are totally gone but snails and hermits will help you to deal with them. If you get them in the sand and you canm´t stand it - you can stir the sand every evening with a long tool. I prefer not to do that - but that´s me.

Sincerely Lasse

Upvote 0

Mixing lighting technologies: Do you use multiple types of lighting for your reef?

• I currently use multiple types of lighting for my reef.

Votes: 7 50.0%
  • I have used multiple types of lighting for my reef in the past.

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • I haven’t used multiple types of lighting for my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • I have no plans to use multiple types of lighting for my reef.

Votes: 3 21.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back