High Ammonia recovery??

Jaybeastin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Came home from work and I noticed my orange back fairy wrasse was on top of the water column grasping for air.

I did a ammonia test and it read .50!

It was was currently in my 10g quarantine tank with a anthias.

I panicked and I tossed him in my DT sump. Risking my other fish but I didn’t want to lose it :/

I did a water change and got the ammonia down and my anthias is completely fine.

my wrasse still look in bad shape , will it make it ? Now that the ammonia is down ? Still in my DT sump and my ammonia reads zero

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Came home from work and I noticed my orange back fairy wrasse was on top of the water column grasping for air.

I did a ammonia test and it read .50!

It was was currently in my 10g quarantine tank with a anthias.

I panicked and I tossed him in my DT sump. Risking my other fish but I didn’t want to lose it :/

I did a water change and got the ammonia down and my anthias is completely fine.

my wrasse still look in bad shape , will it make it ? Now that the ammonia is down ? Still in my DT sump and my ammonia reads zero
Most likely the wrasse won’t and it has already suffered ammonia burns. It’ll most likely be a matter of time before you lose it unfortunately…

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Spoke too soon. Died an hour I posted :/
Oh man, it’s such a shame to have that however you can always learn from it now :)

Whenever I have a fish die I will always learn from it and try see how to avoid it next time (Obviously this isn’t always the case - for example if a fish dies of old age).

OP
OP
J

Jaybeastin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh man, it’s such a shame to have that however you can always learn from it now :)

Whenever I have a fish die I will always learn from it and try see how to avoid it next time (Obviously this isn’t always the case - for example if a fish dies of old age).
Yeah the cause was because my quarantine tank was too small. Never had a fish die from ammonia until now. Had a flame hawk die a few weeks ago for no apparent reason too. Was extremely healthy and active and I seen it dead for some reason in my DT

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah the cause was because my quarantine tank was too small. Never had a fish die from ammonia until now. Had a flame hawk die a few weeks ago for no apparent reason too. Was extremely healthy and active and I seen it dead for some reason in my DT
Sorry for your loss. I would agree maybe to small. I would think in addition, they died because the QT was not cycled, the load was to high, or something big died, or any combination of those three.

Same rules apply for QT as DT.

OP
OP
J

Jaybeastin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for your loss. I would agree maybe to small. I would think in addition, they died because the QT was not cycled, the load was to high, or something big died, or any combination of those three.

Same rules apply for QT as DT.
You’re probably right . Probably wasn’t cycled. I used media from DT and I thought that would’ve been enough. Guess not

Back