High and low range Hanna Nitrate tester

  • Thread starter Thread starter RaeRae
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

RaeRae

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 12, 2011
Messages
546
Reaction score
46
Location
Mt Airy,nc
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just realized I have been doing it wrong for the last year. I have been using the simple 7 minute high range tester for my reef tank! Everything seems to be doing well. I try to keep my Nitrates at 15 or so with what I thought was the right tester. What can I come to realize my true Nitrates are when I get the low range Hanna tester?
 
I just realized I have been doing it wrong for the last year. I have been using the simple 7 minute high range tester for my reef tank! Everything seems to be doing well. I try to keep my Nitrates at 15 or so with what I thought was the right tester. What can I come to realize my true Nitrates are when I get the low range Hanna tester?
The low range is if you want something super accurate for like 0-5 ppm. If youre at 15...I dont see the need unless I missed something
 
I'm not sure I understand the concern. I have only ever used the HR tester. It will measured below 1.0 ppm. I see no need for a lower nitrate reading.

Screenshot_20260101-101058.png
 
I use the HR tester to keep nitrate in my target range of 5-50 ppm. Yes, it is not very accurate at low levels, but that’s not the range I want nitrate in anyway. :)
 
The NO3 Hanna High Range method has an accuracy of ± 2 ppm + 5 % of reading NO3 and I use it because my NO3 will alter between 1 - 10 ppm. This means that if I instead use the Low Range with an accuracy of ±0.2 ppm + 2 % of reading I will need to dilute my samples before reading. A procedure that will need the standard dilution method 1:10 and to use fresh saltwater as dilution liquid and the procedure needs to be done with high precision. The low range method is also a complicated method and if everything go south - you will end up with a result that exceed the HR accuracy. If you don´t are a trained lab person - IMO - its better to use the HR method because its easier to use and has lesser moments that can go wrong.

Sincerely Lasse
 
I'm not sure I understand the concern. I have only ever used the HR tester. It will measured below 1.0 ppm. I see no need for a lower nitrate reading.

Screenshot_20260101-101058.png
While it reads below 1 I don’t believe the results that low. I tried to maintain non-zero using the HR tester to test low levels. I don’t think it worked out. I am now going to try to keep it above 5ppm now to ensure it’s not zero.
 
While it reads below 1 I don’t believe the results that low. I tried to maintain non-zero using the HR tester to test low levels. I don’t think it worked out. I am now going to try to keep it above 5ppm now to ensure it’s not zero.

That's pretty much where I'm at now, 5-10 on this tank I like. I don't intentionally try to run low and just use it to try and stay above zero.
 
I have both, I guess I like to spend $ 😂.
When the HR is below 1ppm, I’ve tested with the LR and I’ll get anywhere between 0.1 to 1.5ppm. So yes, below 1ppm the HR isn’t very accurate. I don’t like the LR test, it’s like doing a science experiment! So many steps.
 
The NO3 Hanna High Range method has an accuracy of ± 2 ppm + 5 % of reading NO3 and I use it because my NO3 will alter between 1 - 10 ppm. This means that if I instead use the Low Range with an accuracy of ±0.2 ppm + 2 % of reading I will need to dilute my samples before reading. A procedure that will need the standard dilution method 1:10 and to use fresh saltwater as dilution liquid and the procedure needs to be done with high precision. The low range method is also a complicated method and if everything go south - you will end up with a result that exceed the HR accuracy. If you don´t are a trained lab person - IMO - its better to use the HR method because its easier to use and has lesser moments that can go wrong.

Sincerely Lasse
So if I continue to use the high range test and want to keep my nitrate between 10 and 20 I should be fine?
 
So if I continue to use the high range test and want to keep my nitrate between 10 and 20 I should be fine?
The HR is a good match between how it performs and what you want to achieve.
 
Speaking of nitrates....

... at what point are Nitrates too low for a Softies dominated tank?
 
Speaking of nitrates....

... at what point are Nitrates too low for a Softies dominated tank?

I recommend 5-50 ppm for a reef tank, but since there can be other sources of N, such as ammonia, it is possible
To have corals thrive at lower levels.
 
From my experience the LR NO3 is horrible. The HR NO3 is solid (to my standards). I just feed more and don’t worry about the low side :). Seriously though, if my HR blinked I would use Salifert just to check for color. I wouldn’t even compare it to the card. I’m not as militant about NO3 as I am PO4.
 
I recommend 5-50 ppm for a reef tank, but since there can be other sources of N, such as ammonia, it is possible
To have corals thrive at lower levels.

Thanks for your reply.


@Randy Holmes-Farley

Historically I've been around 40-50 for a long while but with some recent changes in filtration (mainly moving all of my siporax to very low flow area of my sump I'm now down to 17; 32-27-24-17 few weeks apart each.

I'm on a steady downward trajectory with Nitrates; no water changes.

At what point should I genuinely worry that I'm going too low and start thinking about supplementation?

Does it have any co-relation to phosphates? Currently my phosphorus is at 32ppb
 
Interesting. @BZOFIQ - last January my NO3 was 33. I’m now dosing 220 mil of ammonia and have NO3 of 10-12.

Yeah, I never had that "problem", it was always slowly trending up and I'd do water changes at 50PPM to knock it down some.

So by Randy's last response I have nothing to worry about until about 5. Thanks @Randy Holmes-Farley We'll see what happens.

Now that I've stabilized my Alk and Calcium, latter was extremely low, my coraline is exploding.
 
Yeah, I never had that "problem", it was always slowly trending up and I'd do water changes at 50PPM to knock it down some.

So by Randy's last response I have nothing to worry about until about 5. Thanks @Randy Holmes-Farley We'll see what happens.

Now that I've stabilized my Alk and Calcium, latter was extremely low, my coraline is exploding.

Now that I am dosing ammonia my consumption has gone up greatly. here you saying you got it under control before you entertained dosing ammonia is good. I switched from 2 part to solely a CARX while I was dosing ammonia to find an amount that I could level off with. I shouldn’t have done both at the same time.
 
the HR is the Pinto of the testing world, even Hanna calls it Junk. Since I keep no3 at ocean levels using the HR would be like “peeing in the wind”….
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 11 25.0%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 16 36.4%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 5 11.4%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 2.3%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 3 6.8%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 5 11.4%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 6.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new