High copper in rodi water. Suggestions?

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just received the results from my first ati ICP test and it shows high copper in my rodi water. My original post with all results is Here but I wanted to start a new post looking for a solution to the copper content snd thought it may draw more attention than just another ICP test post.
I run 1 sediment and one carbon with 2 membranes to boost output. TDS going into di is always mid 20 and runs through cation and anion then a final mixed bed (all from brs) and is always 0 tds coming out checked with 2 meters. Runs through all plastic RO tubing into a brute container. Filters and Membranes were replaced 3 months ago. So I'm not sure where the copper would come from. I do have copper plumbing but nothing but plastic after tapping to supply the RO system. I also have an RO buddy booster pump and leave an mj1200 in the RO container but I don't think those have copper. Hanna HR copper tester shows 0 testing rodi but it may not be sensitive enough to pick it up? I'm at a loss on where to go from here. I plan on running some cuprisorb in the sump but need to correct the cause of the issue. Also I have inverts that dont seem to be effected so I'm pretty confused. Any suggestions?

RO ICP results

RO.jpg

Diplay results
180 page 2.jpg

Last edited:

Derrick0580

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has to ge coming from the piping prior to the filter….how old is your filters and resin?

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would look at BRS YouTube Videos to make sure everything is plumbed correctly. I always run a little bit of the RO/DI Water down the drain before starting to save it. Did you get your sample from The Brute? If so, I’d Acid Clean the Brute outside.

Derrick0580

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What rodi unit are you using. Not all units are equal. Might need a smaller micron sediment filter. And when did u last change the ro membrane? Well water or city water? All of this plays into how fast filters get depleted. Do you have a pressure gauge on the system? You may need to add more sediment canisters prior to the membrane with much smaller micon filters.

OP
OP
exnisstech

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would look at BRS YouTube Videos to make sure everything is plumbed correctly. I always run a little bit of the RO/DI Water down the drain before starting to save it. Did you get your sample from The Brute? If so, I’d Acid Clean the Brute outside.
Pretty sure it's plumbed correctly. It's been running for 5 years or so. I will start running some water first before filling and should have all along I think. I have acid so will clean the brute. Both it and the salt storage brute are do for a cleaning anyway.
What rodi unit are you using. Not all units are equal. Might need a smaller micron sediment filter. And when did u last change the ro membrane? Well water or city water? All of this plays into how fast filters get depleted. Do you have a pressure gauge on the system? You may need to add more sediment canisters prior to the membrane with much smaller micon filters.
It's an aquatic life RO unit. Membranes and filters were changed 3 months ago. City water. I do have a pressure gauge and run a booster pump as house pressure is low.

I just find it strange as live stock give no indication of copper the system. I have 2 tanks and change water from the same batch of salt mix, and have been for a few years. The only reason I even tested was because when I move some LPS from one tank into the other they deflate and I thought there was something with just that tanks water because when I move them back they are happy again. I'm waiting on results from the other tank but they should be about the same since the same water is used. Also shrimp, crabs, snails and urchins are fine as are sps frags

Derrick0580

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tried any other copper tests yourself? Could be an error on the icp end. Find it hard to believe they do good in one tank and bad in another if all water comes from the same di unit, gotta be something else

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What company icp? Not all seem able to properly quantify copper.

The display copper is not high enough to cause apparent issues, IMO. It least in my tank 10 ppb did not appear to be an issue.

OP
OP
exnisstech

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tried any other copper tests yourself? Could be an error on the icp end. Find it hard to believe they do good in one tank and bad in another if all water comes from the same di unit, gotta be something else
On my way to the local salt water only lfs to see if they have any test. Hanna HR detected 0 on the RO but not sure if that will detect low enough or even work with fresh water?
What company icp? Not all seem able to properly quantify copper.

The display copper is not high enough to cause apparent issues, IMO. It least in my tank 10 ppb did not appear to be an issue.
I used ATI. Yes it doesn't really appear to causing any issues but I should address it.

OP
OP
exnisstech

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to swap out the RO system. It's a crappy cheap system with regular membrane but with disposable cartridges. If the first step is crappy it sets you up for failure I suppose. Still have the 3 stage di and now with the new system I can expand it to 4 stage if needed. It's helps to walk in and talk to someone face to face. Forums are cool but talking face to face seems to get my mind working more efficiently

OP
OP
exnisstech

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Went ahead and and bought a system local. I have a guy less than an hour away that has a store and only does salt water. Lots of nice coral and fish as well as supplies so I try to support him when I can. Plus the unit is made here in my home state and fully expandable. I already have 3 di canisters 1 cation, 1 anion, and a dual bed. They are already mounted and full of resin so I just plumbed the new unit into them. 4 canisters of resin, I guess you can't have too many stages of di resin?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 33.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 20 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 13 16.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 20 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back