High Magnesium, Low Calcium?

TheFishTickler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Testing with Salifert and API respectively, my magnesium is 1530 and calcium is 360. Is this normal? Should I dose calcium? If so, how much?

My tank is 20 gallons.

Also got a male and female cleaner shrimp recently. The female died this morning, wondering if the clowns pestered her too much or what.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Testing with Salifert and API respectively, my magnesium is 1530 and calcium is 360. Is this normal? Should I dose calcium? If so, how much?

My tank is 20 gallons.

Also got a male and female cleaner shrimp recently. The female died this morning, wondering if the clowns pestered her too much or what.
1. Mg and Ca tests can be variable
2. Verify your tests with a seperate method - and make sure you're doing both correctly.
3. Have you added Ca or Mg?
4. Clowns don't usually pester cleaner shrimp (IME)
5. Do you dose anything?
6. Do you have your other parameters (like alkalinity)?

OP
OP
TheFishTickler

TheFishTickler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep a log of what they are (left) and what they should be (right). The green writing at the bottom is my most recent test.

I have not dosed anything yet. I am trying to decide what the best action would be. I want to eventually add corals.

I should also note I recently switched lights from Aquatop Recife Series 40 gallon light to an AI Hydra 32 HD LED.

20210503_154709_HDR.jpg

Last edited:

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So - if you have no corals - (yet) - I would not be concerned with those readings. You can use the BRS calculator and add the requisite amount of Ca Chloride based on that ( I would tend to add it over 3-4 days) in divided doses. I would also have someone (LFS? double check your tests - and also be sure you're following the directions exactly. No insult meant - but MANY MANY test issues like yours relate to innacurate tests - as compared to problems. I'm not concerned with a Mg of 1530 (my tank I think is at 1550. Mg helps keep Ca and Carbonate from precipitating. Some would disagree. One way to fix everything - would be several water changes - over a couple weeks - depending on the salt you use - and assuming its mixed correctly - this will correct everything to 'your mix'

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 5 5.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 17.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 51 52.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.2%
Back