High nutrients! Nitrates won’t go down

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed a similar amount without an issue (though not reef roids). Also, live phyto does not raise waste levels.

I would beef up the refugium lighting and have it lit for 24 hrs. I am guessing it doesn't have a very strong light. A strong refugium light should be able to handle both with no issue. Run some GFO for a little if you need to get the phosphates down more.

Swap filter pads/socks out daily.

OP
OP
Torres reef

Torres reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I ended up doing a 20% WC after this post and bought some Rowaphos and it brought down nutrients. I stopped feeding roids completely except phytoplankton, I dose that three times a week which is lower than before at a daily routine. After it went down I starting using coral frenzy powder once a week at a quarter of the recommended dose and feeding schedule has been the same with a little less food (gone within 2 minutes). I added a diy upflow algae with growing algae but not enough to harvest yet. My refugium light is a lot stronger than my previous one and I just lowered the light yesterday. My nutrients creeped back up to almost same levels and I don’t see anything that may have decayed. I also cleaned the sump of detritus and I’m still stuck. Not sure if I need to wait or go back to one feeding which I don’t think my chromis and anthias would like. Not sure what I should do.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I ended up doing a 20% WC after this post and bought some Rowaphos and it brought down nutrients. I stopped feeding roids completely except phytoplankton, I dose that three times a week which is lower than before at a daily routine. After it went down I starting using coral frenzy powder once a week at a quarter of the recommended dose and feeding schedule has been the same with a little less food (gone within 2 minutes). I added a diy upflow algae with growing algae but not enough to harvest yet. My refugium light is a lot stronger than my previous one and I just lowered the light yesterday. My nutrients creeped back up to almost same levels and I don’t see anything that may have decayed. I also cleaned the sump of detritus and I’m still stuck. Not sure if I need to wait or go back to one feeding which I don’t think my chromis and anthias would like. Not sure what I should do.

I would keep feeding the fish as normal. Just give it some time. Also, watch phosphate carefully. You may want to take the GFO offline soon as the refugium will likely be working well. If phosphates get too low, the refugium (or scrubber) won't be able to lower your nitrate.

TheDragonsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef roids should only be fed once a week maybe twice. I would cut it out all together until you get your nutrients under control.

To fix it, water changes will be your best option. Id be doing 25% weekly until theyre back down.

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
i feed corals once a week.

like op mentioned, maybe it's the reef roids daily causing excessive nutrients

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.5%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back