High phosphate, water changes and gfo aren’t working

wagadodo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, was wondering if anyone could share any tips on how they remove phosphates from their evo’s? I’m currently sitting at 0.21ppm! I’m running a table spoon of rowaphos in chamber 1 and doing 10% weekly water changes with ro/di water from my lfs which tested 0.02ppm for phosphate. unfortunately carbon dosing isn’t a option as I’m not running a skimmer on my evo. However salifert test kit shown 0.1ppm and recently bought a hanna checker which came back as 0.21 so there might be a testing issue

Thanks!

wet_rocks_reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you can up the dose of GFO or rowaphos, but chasing numbers is not a go idea.. if it gets too low to quickly dinos or cyano will be your next problem.. How does your tank look? dealing with any other issues? it could just settle over time. how old is your tank?

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, was wondering if anyone could share any tips on how they remove phosphates from their evo’s? I’m currently sitting at 0.21ppm! I’m running a table spoon of rowaphos in chamber 1 and doing 10% weekly water changes with ro/di water from my lfs which tested 0.02ppm for phosphate. unfortunately carbon dosing isn’t a option as I’m not running a skimmer on my evo. However salifert test kit shown 0.1ppm and recently bought a hanna checker which came back as 0.21 so there might be a testing issue

Thanks!
What is your nitrate level?

JGK17

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could try cutting back on your feeding, fish food & Nori. Also, if you are using reef roids cut back on that as well.

OP
OP
W

wagadodo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you can up the dose of GFO or rowaphos, but chasing numbers is not a go idea.. if it gets too low to quickly dinos or cyano will be your next problem.. How does your tank look? dealing with any other issues? it could just settle over time. how old is your tank?
I would say my tank is looking pretty good, it’s nearly 3 months old and fairly well stocked with softies and a few LPS. There’s no green hair algae present in the tank either, however I have had a hammer that is slowly withering away so I feel the high phosphate could be a leading factor? On the other hand all my other euphyllia appear to be thriving and my candy cane is splitting new heads. Also I can comfortably say that the hammer on the sand bed no longer looks like that

Attachments

• 55216E70-8387-4E31-9E54-A796C33648AA.jpeg
    55216E70-8387-4E31-9E54-A796C33648AA.jpeg
    142.2 KB · Views: 45

Brennin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks!
With such a big difference between the two test kits I would take some water to your lfs and have them test to see which of your test kits they get closer to. It sounds like your Hanna checker is probably not working from either factory error or user error.

OP
OP
W

wagadodo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With such a big difference between the two test kits I would take some water to your lfs and have them test to see which of your test kits they get closer to. It sounds like your Hanna checker is probably not working from either factory error or user error.
Good shout, thank you!

Brennin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also the easiest way to get it down in the short run is to just do a bigger water change. 10% weekly isn’t going to lower it if you have a problem with phosphate entering your system quickly

Kasrift

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
It's a misread on your Hanna. This is a super common issue, but when you put the cuvette in, you need to wipe it down with a micro fiber cloth and hold it by the black lid for both the C1 and C2 part of the test. Finger print residues will block the light and lead to a false high reading.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank is only 3 months old...
It's nowhere near stable and chasing numbers is just going to lead to more problems. Be careful with your feeding (I didn't see where you listed any fish - if you have fish, don't add any extra food just for the coral), do regular water changes and maintenance, and just monitor things for now.

As for the hammer, sometimes they just don't do well. I would suggest trying to move it off the sandbed as if the sand is getting into the polyps, it will irritate them.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
10ppm with salifert
This is in the low range for softies and LPS, so if nitrates rise a bit, don't be too concerned; these corals prefer dirtier water.
(Not to say there's anything wrong with 10... like I said, chasing numbers at this point is a bad idea. But your tank is still VERY young, and I wanted to provide the feedback ;) )

OP
OP
W

wagadodo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank is only 3 months old...
It's nowhere near stable and chasing numbers is just going to lead to more problems. Be careful with your feeding (I didn't see where you listed any fish - if you have fish, don't add any extra food just for the coral), do regular water changes and maintenance, and just monitor things for now.

As for the hammer, sometimes they just don't do well. I would suggest trying to move it off the sandbed as if the sand is getting into the polyps, it will irritate them.
T
This is in the low range for softies and LPS, so if nitrates rise a bit, don't be too concerned; these corals prefer dirtier water.
(Not to say there's anything wrong with 10... like I said, chasing numbers at this point is a bad idea. But your tank is still VERY young, and I wanted to provide the feedback ;) )
Thank you for your feedback
(Not to say there's anything wrong with 10... like I said, chasing numbers at this point is a bad idea. But your tank is still VERY young, and I wanted to provide the feedback ;)
Would you rinse rowaphos before use? I’ve been rinsing it in fear that my water will go a nasty colour

I never finish anythi

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have softies and my nitrate are between 2/5 and my po4 is 0.03 and they are doing very good .

DanTheReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine has always been high, typically above .2 and I’m spending a lot of time pruning. I had a rough first 12-18 months and thought probably phosphates, but think it was just the dry rock bare bottom. At 3 years now the phosphate rise slowed without intervention, suspect getting consumed by the coral.

So I wouldn’t panic, just slowly up the GFO dose. Works a lot better in a media reactor, not sure if you’re using one. But I concur that it’s not an emergency. Bottoming them out too quickly would probably lead to problems.

8BCBD1CA-D86E-490C-904B-27F3AACDB26D.jpeg

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there algae in your tank? Have you had the ugly phase yet?

Personally I would try to understand the reason for high phosphates, which can come from overfeeding, but usually it is safe to bet that you used new dry rocks to start your tank, this is likely where the phosphate is coming from.

if phosphates are leaching from dry rocks, then water changes won't help, feeding less won't help, only more rowaphos will help.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 21.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 10 14.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 37 52.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.6%
Back