High tds in water and big coral order coming in

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You guys are going on a tangrum about membranes and op still hasn’t answered about the TDS being properly tested in the second thread and they may not even be a problem
You forget that other people will read this thread when looking for answers to THEIR questions. Continuing a discussion and correcting mis-information are good things, for everyone.

DivingTheWorld

Acroholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are so many things to unpack in the OPs original post. I’ll add my 2 cents for what it’s worth (maybe just 2 cents…)

1. Nothing good happens fast in a reef tank. While you may have messed something up, don’t make large or fast changes to try and correct it (50% water changes). Your corals won’t like that.

2. You use a tds meter to measure freshwater, not saltwater. You can use one to measure your tap water or post RODI water. Any test of saltwater will be useless.

3. IMO, most softies and LPS like dirty water. Some people even keep reef tanks with tap water, although I don’t recommend that! My point is, relax as a little tap water is not going to implode your tank.

4. When setting up an ATO of RODI water, I don’t recommend an auto feed system unless you have a HUGE tank. Your thread shows you have a nano. My recommendation is to make RODI into something like a bucket or brute, then manually transfer it to your ATO. This way you can test the RODI water before it gets into your tank.

5. Last, just relax. I hear people talk in threads all the time that they don’t want to have to “start over”, or they’re thinking about starting over. IMO the most important factor in a successfully reef tank is age of the tank. Almost anything that goes wrong in a tank can be corrected without a need to “start over”. In this particular case, I’d simply start using some 0 tds water and ignore the small amount that may have got into your tank while you were away. If you’re waiting on filters, as others have said you can get 0 tds water from your LFS or even just buy it by the gallon from a grocery store. If you indeed have a nano, you don’t need much.

Good luck!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back