0   0   0
F7E1CBDF-F0F3-4C39-9D4C-F3659AA0FD4B.jpeg

N.Sreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All the pics online seem to be darker. I can’t seem to find anything similar.
Most crabs are lighter as sub adults and darken with each molt until they reach adult colour my guess itll end up having a pattern similar to this one (not my pic)

Attachments

• GettyImages-520760798-5a36df62482c520036b333f8.jpg
    GettyImages-520760798-5a36df62482c520036b333f8.jpg
    152.8 KB · Views: 48

monkeyCmonkeyDo

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was the legs that made.me think it. Heres my guy.
Could be a porcelin too though from the pinchers... usually they have long antennae?
D

Attachments

• IMG_20210410_112049_365.jpg
    IMG_20210410_112049_365.jpg
    263.4 KB · Views: 59
OP
OP
Jarret

Jarret

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m leaning towards some type of porcelain. Body shape and claws seem to point in that direction. They’re in the tank now. Hope it goes well

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m legit perplexed as to why people think this is a porcelain, porcelains in general have small spots all over their legs and carapace, Sally Lightfoots have striped legs. Even the Zebra Porcelain only has stripes on the last two segments of its legs and then spots on the first segment. Also, if you look at the shape of the claws, Porcelain crabs have much more bulky, sort of bulbous claws, whereas Sally Lightfoots have smaller more narrow claws. I can’t find any pictures of a Porcelain that has anything beyond a superficial resemblance to this crab, whereas it looks identical to nearly every picture of a Sally Lightfoot.

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Porcelain crabs are not true crabs. They have 6 legs. Crabs (including sally lightfoot) have 8 legs. The pic the OP posted has 6 legs. @KJ was spot on. There are many types of porcelain crabs that look different from each other. Google “porcelain crab striped legs” There are many types of crabs and decapods that haven’t been described, so it’s hard to nail the species spot on.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@KJ and @ScottR are spot on. It is a variance of porcelain crab. It defiantly closer to a Porcelain. If we want to ID it to the species level then it will be tricky.
Most of the time we should not use coloration to identify groups of animals, rather use the structure and shape. Color are easily changes from one species or sub species from each other but we group them according to their morphology and anatomy. (DNA now mostly)

Just think of a Caucasian vs an African vs an Asian. Coloration cannot be any more different but we are all human.

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Porcelain crabs are not true crabs. They have 6 legs. Crabs (including sally lightfoot) have 8 legs. The pic the OP posted has 6 legs. @KJ was spot on. There are many types of porcelain crabs that look different from each other. Google “porcelain crab striped legs” There are many types of crabs and decapods that haven’t been described, so it’s hard to nail the species spot on.
I stand corrected. Admittedly, decapoda is not an order I’ve done a lot of reading on, and have only passively kept a few species over the years. Had no idea that porcelain crabs weren’t true crabs (I knew that hermit crabs and some of the crab-like squat lobsters weren’t true crabs), or that one of the differences was six vs eight legs. Been keeping reef aquariums for over 20 years and still learn new stuff pretty much daily.

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I stand corrected. Admittedly, decapoda is not an order I’ve done a lot of reading on, and have only passively kept a few species over the years. Had no idea that porcelain crabs weren’t true crabs (I knew that hermit crabs and some of the crab-like squat lobsters weren’t true crabs), or that one of the differences was six vs eight legs. Been keeping reef aquariums for over 20 years and still learn new stuff pretty much daily.
No worries. I’m still learning as we speak. I just want to help where I can.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 38 32.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back