Hitchhiker ID - worm?

ariellemermaid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I have these little “cocoons” all over my tank - on my rock and corals. I’m also seeing cobweb-like strings all over the tank. Help - what is this? Some kind of worm?
I realize there’s a feather duster featured to the side in one of my pics, but it has a separate cocoon than these things. Thanks!

A26DDDD8-A15A-4FE5-B6AC-345A3CFA8276.jpeg C86625E7-24ED-43D5-A8EF-27114AE69434.jpeg 9E1A5E30-70B5-47E6-8211-EE372D82EFC5.jpeg 39F69B62-FD8E-4E99-A6A7-6D1F01A8A5DB.jpeg

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get rid of those things. They're no fun. Left my leathers closed for over a month until I got rid of them all.

You could also buy bumblebee snails. They're supposedly vermatid eaters, but there's no 100% guarantee they'll do their job.

OP
OP
ariellemermaid

ariellemermaid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Broadcast feeding makes them multiply too. If you cut back on broadcast and start feeding pellets/flakes to each fish you'll starve them too.
There are no fish in this tank; it’s a crab & coral QT. I’m feeding seaweed on clips and sinking pellets. I do feed the corals sometimes too though.

OP
OP
ariellemermaid

ariellemermaid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get rid of those things. They're no fun. Left my leathers closed for over a month until I got rid of them all.

You could also buy bumblebee snails. They're supposedly vermatid eaters, but there's no 100% guarantee they'll do their job.
Thanks! I’ll order some bumble bee snails when I place my next order.

OP
OP
ariellemermaid

ariellemermaid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about this, same thing? There's a very long clear tube extending from the bottom of one frag over the top of another. As far as I can tell, nothing coming out of it and it's not bothering corals yet. This is like 10x longer than any of the other vermatids we have.

IMG_0930.jpg

RedFrog211

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would remove it, just to be safe. In the event that it is beneficial, your tank won't suffer from its removal. Where as if it's a pest (more probable imo) you will have to deal with it eventually. I would like to point out that vermetid's aren't inherently dangerous; it's just vast numbers and burrowing into corals that causes issues. With that being said, dealing with 2 or 3 early on is much easier than controlling a whole population. :)

OP
OP
ariellemermaid

ariellemermaid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just an update; the coral frag actually had 2 of those long hard tubes coming off plus one that looked like the original pictures (separate locations on the frag). I cut off the tubes with a razor blade and covered all with super glue. When I cut off the shorter of the long ones I definitely saw something squirming at the base, so looks like all the same thing.

This is a 20G invertebrate QT tank but it’s also a fully fledged long-term reef/crab tank. Rock, sand, flow/lighting, even some corals that left frags and are thriving on the rocks. The more I look the more of these things I see everywhere; frags, rocks, even had one growing on the HOB filter!

We’re basically just feeding nori and maybe twice a week some coral food but I guess that’s enough to do it. Oh, and phytoplankton to keep a copepod population going. I’ll try some bumblebees and glue or putty/glue but this is a pretty big infestation!

RedFrog211

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just an update; the coral frag actually had 2 of those long hard tubes coming off plus one that looked like the original pictures (separate locations on the frag). I cut off the tubes with a razor blade and covered all with super glue. When I cut off the shorter of the long ones I definitely saw something squirming at the base, so looks like all the same thing.

This is a 20G invertebrate QT tank but it’s also a fully fledged long-term reef/crab tank. Rock, sand, flow/lighting, even some corals that left frags and are thriving on the rocks. The more I look the more of these things I see everywhere; frags, rocks, even had one growing on the HOB filter!

We’re basically just feeding nori and maybe twice a week some coral food but I guess that’s enough to do it. Oh, and phytoplankton to keep a copepod population going. I’ll try some bumblebees and glue or putty/glue but this is a pretty big infestation!
Yikes- glad you’re noticing now, rather than months later. Do you broadcast or target feed? I’d recommend target feeding for a while to help rescue the amount of food the pests are getting! Good luck :)

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 35 34.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 22 21.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 8.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 5.8%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 28 27.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back