Hitchhiking Octopus

Nikky.Werr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone,

About two months ago I noticed my sump/refugium slowly becoming a shell grave, snails were being consumed as well as small crabs and hermit crabs. I thought I might have an aggressive gorilla crab or really anything "aggressive" but what I found two days ago. When I turned on the lights of the sump/refugium I saw this little fella darting into the darkness of the sheltering rocks. It's about 3cm in diameter so pretty small I think. I'd like to know what everyone thinks about keeping ocopuses and their danger to other tank inhabitants. I've read very contradicting information regarding this subject. This little guy came along some live rock I picked up in Ocoa Bay, which is in the Dominican Republic, where I live. My plan is to return it to Ocoa Bay next time I go back but is there any possibility I could sort of "rear" it until it grows a little more. It looks so teeny and defenseless...
DSC_7961.jpg
DSC_7963.jpg
DSC_7964.jpg
DSC_7967.jpg

If anyone could ID this little fella it'd be great, if not I'll just go on any info I find on the internet/books until I can take him back to Ocoa. He'd be neat to keep though but that might not be the best choice for him. I guess we'll see.
Thanks for checking this out!

DSC_7961.jpg

DSC_7963.jpg

DSC_7964.jpg

DSC_7967.jpg

OP
OP
Nikky.Werr

Nikky.Werr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah he's a cute little thing :p I may be keeping him. If he stays some what small he could definitely fit in the tank which is 6x4feet but I'm not even sure what species he is. If anyone knows, I'd appreciate your input. Thanks for your replies!

KorD

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats so cute.. I would have a hard time getting rid of it.. I would just DIY a bolt on lid and keep it until it got too big for the tank!
It was taken out of it's environment and now given a smaller hunting ground.

When it get too big for the tank, donate it to a local Aquarium

Last edited:

Shep

Acan Connoisseur
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is by far the coolest hitchhiker ever!

rininger85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wow, that's awesome. I wouldn't mind trying to keep him, but I'd probably move him to a tank by himself that way there would definately be no risk to your other inhabitants should you happen to spook him bad enough that he inks up your tank.

OP
OP
Nikky.Werr

Nikky.Werr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
KorD, good idea the diy bolt lid, I'll look into it. Rininger I hadn't thought of the inking, that would be a problem. I'd love to keep him, the other tank I have is smaller, less suitable. The tank sump he's in right now is 50g and the dt is 100g. My other tank has a 50g dt and 30g sump. The tank mates in the one he's in now include snails, hermit crabs, a few shrimp, 3 clowns and a Warty anemone along with a few zoas and a duncan. The other tank has a similar clean up crew, two firefish, bubble tip anemone and a few zoas. I could consider moving some stock around, reorganizing both tanks so he can have one (mostly, not completely) to himself. Any thoughts on this?

OP
OP
Nikky.Werr

Nikky.Werr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's what I'm wondering. I guess I'll just have to see. I can take care of him until he outgrows my tank and then maybe I can give him to a friend that works at the aquarium here or give him directly to the aquarium.

tyler1503

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This replaces the zebra eel as the most ****** hitchhiker I've ever heard of! Nice one!

scardall

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
cool find

nice Octo. Good luck . They are super inteligent. Can sqeeze thru anything larger than their beak. I've heard that water has to be reef quality. A lid that bolys down on tank. does not tolerate any BTA's leaching onto water. taking care of these guys makes keeping acro's look simple. I hope you do well.

TJ's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following as well, and as most others have already stated probably the coolest hitchhiker ever.

Cheers, Todd

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 42 49.4%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 44 51.8%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 19 22.4%
  • None.

Votes: 22 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 10.6%

Back