Holes developing in fins

RedFrog211

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With the recent tropical storm that hit the US, my house had no power for 60 hours. I had to relocate the fish to a shop we own. I noticed a splotch on my clown’s pectoral fin, but knew there wasn’t much I could do. (I was at work when the storm hit and the tank had gone 16 hours without power; my main concern was getting all the coral and fish in oxygenated water.) over the course of the previous week, the hole has grown. It’s now on both of my clowns. I guess it’s more of a “transparent spot” rather than hole, because there is no flesh missing. It’s just see-through spots. Is this a water quality issue? Stress? Lack of vitamins in food? Any advice would be very appreciated! I’ll do my best to attach photos.

On the snowstorm, the caudal fin was pitch black before. The spot can also easily be seen on phantoms caudal fin

C6C5FBA5-4F6F-4649-A297-9A7EB38B2721.png 3CE56FBF-8A76-4AD1-9D06-6096FC0F4032.png D4A00298-FB2F-439E-AFAE-63BF7FB2263B.png

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ammonia can burn fins sometimes...not saying a definitive but funky water makes for bad fins... I’m thinking environmental or metabolic vs a pathogen per se...
bumping for more opinions and sample size

OP
OP
RedFrog211

RedFrog211

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ammonia can burn fins sometimes...not saying a definitive but funky water makes for bad fins... I’m thinking environmental or metabolic vs a pathogen per se...
bumping for more opinions and sample size
There’re slight traces of ammonia, but it’s only about 0.25ppm. Most likely due to the tank breakdown- (Also lost a couple snails in the process.) the fishs’ diet is a mix of mysis and a carnivore blend with some Vita Chem. They’re eating well and don’t seem to act any different, aside from the presence of the spots

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Is bold slimy/milky looking?
Possibly fun rot from ammonia/nitrate spike after filters fired back up
Test water and provide readings for;
Ammonia
Nitrate
Ph
Salinity
Temperature

OP
OP
RedFrog211

RedFrog211

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is bold slimy/milky looking?
Possibly fun rot from ammonia/nitrate spike after filters fired back up
Test water and provide readings for;
Ammonia
Nitrate
Ph
Salinity
Temperature
The transparent spots don’t have any noticeable change in texture in regards to the rest of the fin- it appears as if the fin is just slowly losing color.
Ammonia: 0.25ppm
Nitrite: 0ppm
Nitrate: ≈ 2.5ppm
pH: 8.3
SG: 1.025
Temp: 76°F

Other notes: the tank is a quarantine tank while the reef goes fallow. They’ve been in here for 1.5 months- the tank is 11g, and has the two clowns and 1 coral banded shrimp.

OP
OP
RedFrog211

RedFrog211

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
She is now breathing heavily and staying near the sand, as if there was high ammonia. I had a fake anemone in the tank for a while (wanted to help develop the urge host for when I add them to the reef) and realized it’s rather filmy, with a slight goo covering the rubber. perhaps it’s not as “saltwater safe” as it’s advertised. I’ve removed the fake anemone and plan to do a water change once the ammonia evens out. Thoughts?

Attachments

• IMG_7212.MOV
    11.6 MB

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
She is now breathing heavily and staying near the sand, as if there was high ammonia. I had a fake anemone in the tank for a while (wanted to help develop the urge host for when I add them to the reef) and realized it’s rather filmy, with a slight goo covering the rubber. perhaps it’s not as “saltwater safe” as it’s advertised. I’ve removed the fake anemone and plan to do a water change once the ammonia evens out. Thoughts?
Increase oxygen if you can and a slight water change woud not hurt.
Increase temp to 77 deg and Please tell me you are not using API test kit(s)
Are you using RODI water or tap from the faucet ?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I am using API- is it unreliable? I am using RODI from the LFS.
Very unreliable
I suggest first chance tomorrow, take a good water sample to a trusted LFS and have them check your water for you and verify your readings including salinity

OP
OP
RedFrog211

RedFrog211

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very unreliable
I suggest first chance tomorrow, take a good water sample to a trusted LFS and have them check your water for you and verify your readings including salinity
Thank you! For the time being, I’ll do a 15% water change and add some prime. Should I get a Red Sea kit for testing?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Thank you! For the time being, I’ll do a 15% water change and add some prime. Should I get a Red Sea kit for testing?
Hanna and salifert most user friendly and accurate

OP
OP
RedFrog211

RedFrog211

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: the tank did have traces of ammonia- about 0.5ppm. Today, after returning from work, the fish has no visible holes in her fins and is swimming around just fine! Thank you all for your help. Guess it was just ammonia all along. I appreciate everyone’s comments and advice :)

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 74 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 71 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 9.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back