OP
jgvergo

jgvergo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, it been about 3 weeks and the news is not very encouraging. I bought about $100 worth of Nudibranchs. I drip acclimated them for 2 hours and released them into my DT...and have never seen one of them since! Aiptasia seen to be thriving just fine :(

Jvesche20

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, it been about 3 weeks and the news is not very encouraging. I bought about $100 worth of Nudibranchs. I drip acclimated them for 2 hours and released them into my DT...and have never seen one of them since! Aiptasia seen to be thriving just fine :(
I might have missed this in a post from earlier but what size tank? I tried everything when I got aiptasia and the only thing that worked for me was a copperband. I never see them in my DT only in my frag tank and thats when I use aiptasia-x. I'm going to have to check my overflow now kinda curious to see if they are growing in there where nothing can kill it.

Fallling

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I've used berghia a few times - probably won't again given how long it takes and the cost factor. IME, you'll never see them until they start running out of aiptasia (not a bad thing), however, I've had it take 2 months before I started seeing any noticeable dent in the aiptasia population... it actually got quite a bit worse before it got better (talk about disheartening). They also would skip any large aiptasia which inevitably resulted in more aiptasia further down the road.

Ultimately, I haven't found the $200 - $300 investment to be worth it for myself (plus, it's sad when they start to starve). With that said, eventually, there was an improvement- just took forever, was expensive, and not complete. I've had better luck with peppermint shrimp personally (of course, there's a wide swinging success on these as well).

OP
OP
jgvergo

jgvergo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I might have missed this in a post from earlier but what size tank? I tried everything when I got aiptasia and the only thing that worked for me was a copperband. I never see them in my DT only in my frag tank and thats when I use aiptasia-x. I'm going to have to check my overflow now kinda curious to see if they are growing in there where nothing can kill it.
85 gallon DT.

Jason boles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
When I put mine in I didn’t see them for 2 weeks, and then one night I noticed one. They do take time, but as you don’t have any in your St bothering you I say let them do their thing. They will eventually multiply and kill them off.

Eric Straus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am surprised by all the horrible advice on this thread!! All you need to do is purchase some berghia eating nudibranch and let them go to town. The issue with peppermint shrimp, copper band and file fish is that they can't reach all the hidden aphasia in systems. You don't need to nuke the tank or wash it out or sodium hydroxide it. The berghia will eat all this within months. Please do your research prior to giving advise! If you need any Berghia send me a message. Good luck.

Potatohead

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am surprised by all the horrible advice on this thread!! All you need to do is purchase some berghia eating nudibranch and let them go to town. The issue with peppermint shrimp, copper band and file fish is that they can't reach all the hidden aphasia in systems. You don't need to nuke the tank or wash it out or sodium hydroxide it. The berghia will eat all this within months. Please do your research prior to giving advise! If you need any Berghia send me a message. Good luck.

You say other people had bad advice but you didn't even read the whole thread ;Bored

Eric Straus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I read the whole thread. I am shocked at what some people are suggesting to do. Berghia will get accostomed to the flow in there and be just fine.

Last edited:
OP
OP
jgvergo

jgvergo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As the original poster, I found most of the posts to be an honest attempt to help based on people's experience, which can vary significantly. One of the great aspects of R2R is that a few dozen people will weigh in and I get to make a much more informed decision than I would otherwise be able to.

I decided against any drastic, chemically based solution because of something I learned on R2R and which I have coined...KISS (Keep it stable stupid).

Ultimately, I came to the same conclusion you did, Nudis. I also plan to add a CBB. All based on the terrific feedback to my questions.

Jvesche20

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm trying to get one...in discussions with my LFS now.
Just make sure you witness the fish eating at the lfs. If possible frozen food. These fish are very tricky and sometimes dont take certain kind of food so you want to make sure you can try and get it to eat frozen food

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 34 27.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 41 32.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 30.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back