Holy Grail Fish

Do you own your holy grail fish/es??

• Total voters

CC_N

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a lot of fish wishlist. Mostly from the twilight zone. My all time favourite has to be the Odontanthias Katayamai.

1647316614266.png
1647316628097.png

Fishfreak2009

Follow Your Passions!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard to say. I have too many fish I like too much. There are some I consider my holy grail, but there are others I can't have do to tank size (I kept previously in a larger system without much coral and am patiently waiting to upgrade again). Those fish include the moorish idol, regal angel, and various butterflyfish.

Next on the list will be a few different wrasses (Anampses, Macropharyngodon, Cirrhilabrus, Pseudojuloides) and maybe another tilefish (either Hoplolatilus marcosi or Hoplolatilus starckii).

I'm one of those people that doesn't have just 1 or 2 favorites though. I love so many different fish, that a lot of them are "holy grails" to me.

adsf430

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have two: Cirrhilabrus rhomboidalis is a fave of mine, but they are pricey and tough to find. The males may be one of the most stunning fish I’ve seen.

My other is Zanclus cornutus (Moorish idol). Except until we can better serve their dietary requirements I’ll be avoiding this fish.

I found my Moorish pretty easy to keep if you get a healthy one. I fed mine plenty of nori and clams on the half shell. Unfortunately it passed away during Hurricane Sandy since the tank was without power for weeks : ( .

Exoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bought this Bodianus Opercularis as a 2" juvenile and kept it for 3+years...until it dove into a rocknem during a power outage and was "eaten" :(

Stunning fish! Always active and fun to watch. Only "issue" is it would eat the cleanup crew and pretty much every ornamental crustacean.

The yellow lines that it developed as a full adult brought into question if it was an Opercularis...some thought it was more rare, but whatever...it was the my "holy grail" fish.
bennetti.JPG
Candy_broadside_scoly.jpg
lyretails.jpg

Candy.jpg

Candy_broadside_rbta.jpg

Stange natural sunlight pic.jpg

Candy Feb26_2017.jpg
is there some sort of light on that tank making the fish look yellow? if not you've got a bennet's hogfish which is incredibly rare

Exoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bought this Bodianus Opercularis as a 2" juvenile and kept it for 3+years...until it dove into a rocknem during a power outage and was "eaten" :(

Stunning fish! Always active and fun to watch. Only "issue" is it would eat the cleanup crew and pretty much every ornamental crustacean.

The yellow lines that it developed as a full adult brought into question if it was an Opercularis...some thought it was more rare, but whatever...it was the my "holy grail" fish.
bennetti.JPG
Candy_broadside_scoly.jpg
lyretails.jpg

Candy.jpg

Candy_broadside_rbta.jpg

Stange natural sunlight pic.jpg

Candy Feb26_2017.jpg
Based on my knowledge, the yellow on that fish would mean that it is actually a different species to bodianus opercularis, unless there is a strong yellow light changing the appearance. The slight difference of colouration in the tail is also a pointer. If i am correct, that fish is actually Bodianus Bennetti, which is far far rarer than Bodianus opercularis.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Based on my knowledge, the yellow on that fish would mean that it is actually a different species to bodianus opercularis, unless there is a strong yellow light changing the appearance. The slight difference of colouration in the tail is also a pointer. If i am correct, that fish is actually Bodianus Bennetti, which is far far rarer than Bodianus opercularis.
You are correct, the hog that is pictured is Bodianus Bennetti and not Bodianus opercularis. Bennetti is a newer species to this hobby and comes from deeper water there for making it much rarer.

joseph scott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had my grail fish a Naoko’s wrasse for about a week. Made sure I had a very good lid because I knew they are jumpers. He escaped through a tiny gap where the return comes out. He took the ride all the way to sump. Found him battered to death in the bottom of the filter sock. So sad. Every time I see one for sale I remember how guilty I felt for that fishes death.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had my grail fish a Naoko’s wrasse for about a week. Made sure I had a very good lid because I knew they are jumpers. He escaped through a tiny gap where the return comes out. He took the ride all the way to sump. Found him battered to death in the bottom of the filter sock. So sad. Every time I see one for sale I remember how guilty I felt for that fishes death.
Hopefully you eventually get another. It’s a pain on how bad these guys are with escaping, mine managed to get into the back chamber of my nano.
Here’s a not totally great photo of mine however I completely see why it’s your holy grail :)
This was mine for SUCH a long time.
198CA044-8BCF-461B-8720-E3F1B1C92970.jpeg

Jbell370

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have my Red Sea Regal, Blue Star Wrasse pair, Blue Spot jawfish, Copper band and Gem tang. Would love a larger angle, but I can’t love without my corals. The wrasse pair is new, rest have been with me a while, gone through a couple upgrades.

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many folks out there have one or more of their absolute holy grail fish. Something that you waited ages to get, that you really pined over for a long time! Generally I would consider holy grail fish to be somewhat rare and/or expensive which is why they're usually considered holy grail. However, that doesn't preclude something that you've always loved or wanted as well, nothing wrong with a blue or yellow tang being your holy grail!!

I've recently had the opportunity to purchase several of some of my dream fish but this week brought about the chance to purchase one of my absolute number one dream holy grail fish. I'm a bit of a butterfly fanatic and would love to keep all sorts of butterflies but I have to be somewhat restricted due to the size of my tank and corals I love! Roaps are some of my favourite butterflies and I currently have a chaetodon burgessi and a chaetodon declivis in the tank, with a chance of getting a chaetodon mitratus in the near future! :D

Back onto topic though, one of my absolute holy grail fish is the prognathodes genus. Owning any of the species in this genus has always been one of my highest dreams!! The unfortunate part about this genus is that most of the fish are $5k and over here in Australia :( However, one of the stores knew how much I wanted one and messaged me out of the blue with a much more accessibly priced prognathodes marcellae. As you can imagine I immediately jumped on this absolute beauty and now I have filled a dream of mine after many years of waiting and wanting!!

That being said, here's some pics and thanks everyone for reading! I'd love to hear everyone else's stories about their searches for the holy grail!!

Meet Marcy :D
IMG_20190521_155415_186.jpg
20190521_141315-01.jpg
20190521_141312-01.jpg
Gorgeous fish indeed. I love it.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 34 29.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 23.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back