Homemade Fish Food

Shadowspop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know there are some older threads on this, but is anyone out there feeding there reef fish a homemade concoction? I'm thinking about making my own blend, but hoping for some input on ingredients. Original thoughts were the obvious shrimp and scallops, oyster, but then figured mysis, nori, black worms, and broccoli. Any thoughts to garlic? I've been reading mixed thoughts.

corey01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried it with fresh shrimp, garlic, carrots, nori sheets, scallops, clams/oysters don't remember which, and some kind of small fish...smelt I think it was.
the tank destroyed it. loved the stuff. however I seen the largest algae blooms and nutrient spikes I had ever seen when I was using it. to the point of the 3 freezer bags of the stuff I made I only used half of one.
I just couldn't get the algae under control while feeding it. all over the rocks all over the glass and power heads. it was a mess. all within two or three weeks. It wasn't isolated either as I was feeding 3 tanks at the time and was seeing the same thing in all of them.
I thought I had rinsed the food enough while I was making it. but I guess not.

thetaggeffect

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lot of folks have their own recipes that they swear by. I like to keep it pretty simple but with good ingredients. I do a bout 50/50 rinsed mysis and clams, then I like to add some fish roe to mix in. I squeeze in a couple fish oil capsules and selcon before freezing. I also use a little bit of garlic, but I use it sparingly and I dont think it is vital, just a habit.

tdileo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I rinse some shrimp, scallops, salmon, and mysis to get them as clean as I can. Then I freeze all until hard so I can cut them into bite sized pieces for the fish. I then mix all them with enough water to just cover it and add powdered coral food mixed into a container and freeze again. Then I chop up everything into serving sizes (about 1.5x1.5”) until I’m ready. When I’m ready to feed, I put it in a cup with tank water and defrost. Dump it in and it feeds the whole tank at once, including corals. I find that my fish tend to ignore nori when I added it into the mix so I just leave it on a clip for my herbivores to graze at when they’re hungry.

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what @jsker sent me when I inquired on his recipe. I didn't have all the ingred. just used what I could find.

From jsker: This recipe makes a few pounds, but if you have a food saver and a deep freeze the food will keep for 2.5 years using a food saver and deep freezer.
reef-food-recipe-png.641799

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 46 34.6%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 21.1%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.5%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 35 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back