Hooked Newbie!

Jivatma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New to R2R and reefing, but have always loved aquariums ever since Dad has one when I was a kid.

Finally at a point in my life where I can slowly gather gear and finally get started! I'm getting close and excited though my patience is already being tested and I don't even have water in a box! Lol

I've kept freshwater fish before, but never in a tank this big, though all things considered, 75g isn't that big compared to some of you! I'm a sponge when it comes to information and research, but I'm also a question robot, so please forgive my curiosity. As the title suggests, I'm already hooked haha!

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the salty family!! We're glad you are here!!! 75 is a great size.
Good Morning Hello GIF by Hill's Pet Nutrition

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New to R2R and reefing, but have always loved aquariums ever since Dad has one when I was a kid.

Finally at a point in my life where I can slowly gather gear and finally get started! I'm getting close and excited though my patience is already being tested and I don't even have water in a box! Lol

I've kept freshwater fish before, but never in a tank this big, though all things considered, 75g isn't that big compared to some of you! I'm a sponge when it comes to information and research, but I'm also a question robot, so please forgive my curiosity. As the title suggests, I'm already hooked haha!
Welcome!

Glad you joined. Perfect time to start your build thread and put your excited energy to good use documenting your plans and progress. I didn't start mine right away, so I've been going back - its a great place where I can track my tank's evolution. Plus, they'll give you a badge (look left, under my ID) when you link it to your account.

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0

Welcome! Don't forget to start a build thread-pic heavy- when you start putting everything together!

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome!

Before you start spending money on any equipment, ask yourself: "what kind of fish do I want to keep".

Your greatest likelihood of success will be in building your tank around your intended inhabitants.

Last edited:

BigRedReefer MT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the reef. We are happy you have found your way here. 75 gallons is a good size to get your feet wet in. Opens up options for fish, room for coral growth, and easier to keep tabs on nutrient and chemistry swings then smaller tanks and equipment isn't as costly. Welcome to the ride, just remember nothing good happens fast in reef keeping.

OP
OP
Jivatma

Jivatma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome! Don't forget to start a build thread-pic heavy- when you start putting everything together!

Oh, I plan to! Don't have much right now except a few odds and ends. Ultimately want to graduate to one of those crazy good photo people too.

Welcome!

Before you start spend money on any equipment, ask yourself: "what kind of fish do I want to keep".

Your greatest likelihood of success will be in building your tank around your intended inhabitants.

I want what every reefer wants. A little oceanic slice of heaven in my Living room with low maintenance, no water changes, and perfect parameters all the time. :p

Honestly though, I feel like I'm taking it a step at a time. I'm going to get something going with a FOWLR and make sure I can keep stable water conditions and not kill things. Then I'll slowly add coral. By the end of it all, I think I'd see myself with something of a mixed reef. But baby steps.

I do know what I don't want, and I don't want crazy growers like xenia. I also don't want paly/zoas. I'm not risking palytoxin exposure while I live alone! Haha.

Currently, I'm stuck on a skimmer. I'm not sure what would be a good fit, as I don't wanna have to upgrade here in a year already. I've also recently learned of AC vs DC and still doing more research on that.

In all reality, I just need to get my overflow kit and baffles, drill and plumb my tank and we could be wet. One step at a time though!

Oh! And thank you for all the greetings!

Last edited:

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back