Hot tank

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i was out of town this weekend. I had someone feeding the fish and thought everything would be okay. I walked in and saw a lot of them were closed up. I wondered what she did while she was feeding them to make them go wonky. Then I realized the tank was up to 88 degrees.

The air conditioning in my house automatically turns off if there’s no one around. So that’s a setting I’ve already turned off.

I put ice packs in the tank to bring the temp down and did a water change. I also pointed the return at the surface for more surface disturbance. The air conditioning is back on and the house is cooling down.

I asked the girl who fed them if the corals were closed up when she came by, but she hasn’t responded. It’s down to 85.5. Please tell me my corals aren’t going to die. :(

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i was out of town this weekend. I had someone feeding the fish and thought everything would be okay. I walked in and saw a lot of them were closed up. I wondered what she did while she was feeding them to make them go wonky. Then I realized the tank was up to 88 degrees.

The air conditioning in my house automatically turns off if there’s no one around. So that’s a setting I’ve already turned off.

I put ice packs in the tank to bring the temp down and did a water change. I also pointed the return at the surface for more surface disturbance. The air conditioning is back on and the house is cooling down.

I asked the girl who fed them if the corals were closed up when she came by, but she hasn’t responded. It’s down to 85.5. Please tell me my corals aren’t going to die. :(
Same thing happened to me when I was in Maui a few weeks ago. Tank sitter didn’t turn our air on, it was high 80’s that week. The tank bounced back after a few days of being its normal 78. I wouldn’t worry to much. Sounds like you already have been as proactive as you can.
If there was any crypto in your tank or anything the heat makes that go crazy, my blue hippo got a mild case of it while I was away as well. He’s better now thankfully.

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Awhile back, I had taken my heater out of my tank to clean it. My son had cranked it all the way up without me knowing. I put the heater back in. Next day, tank was high 80s. I lost all of my softies aside from mushroom. Was sad. Good luck.

OP
OP
Bleigh

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same thing happened to me when I was in Maui a few weeks ago. Tank sitter didn’t turn our air on, it was high 80’s that week. The tank bounced back after a few days of being its normal 78. I wouldn’t worry to much. Sounds like you already have been as proactive as you can.
If there was any crypto in your tank or anything the heat makes that go crazy, my blue hippo got a mild case of it while I was away as well. He’s better now thankfully.

Fingers crossed. I only have the clowns and they don'y seem bothered. I didn't leave until late Friday night. So I doubt it got that hot yesterday, had to have been today. I'm hoping when she messages me back she'll tell me they looked how they normally do, which would mean it hadn't gotten that hot yet. Does the duration of how long they were exposed to the warm water make a difference?

OP
OP
Bleigh

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awhile back, I had taken my heater out of my tank to clean it. My son had cranked it all the way up without me knowing. I put the heater back in. Next day, tank was high 80s. I lost all of my softies aside from mushroom. Was sad. Good luck.

How quickly did you notice? I wonder if the duration makes a difference. I know mine was from the ambient temperature, so I'm hoping it was a more gradual rise than I think would occur with a heater.

OP
OP
Bleigh

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do all you can and hope for the best. Watch for die offs and check ammonia

Good idea with the ammonia. I'll check for it while I'm watching the temp.

Anyone know at what temp I can relax? 82 or all the way down to 77?

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fingers crossed. I only have the clowns and they don'y seem bothered. I didn't leave until late Friday night. So I doubt it got that hot yesterday, had to have been today. I'm hoping when she messages me back she'll tell me they looked how they normally do, which would mean it hadn't gotten that hot yet. Does the duration of how long they were exposed to the warm water make a difference?
It seems like it would, I’m no chemist though :(
If you left Friday I almost guarantee they will bounce back. That’s not long at all. Was it a good trip at least ? :) haha
I’d just set it to 78 and see how things look tomorrow.

OP
OP
Bleigh

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems like it would, I’m no chemist though :(
If you left Friday I almost guarantee they will bounce back. That’s not long at all. Was it a good trip at least ? :) haha
I’d just set it to 78 and see how things look tomorrow.

Yep! I have some family there, so I thought the Atlanta reef club coral expo would be a good reason to visit! I came home with some corals. :D

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How quickly did you notice? I wonder if the duration makes a difference. I know mine was from the ambient temperature, so I'm hoping it was a more gradual rise than I think would occur with a heater.
At least 24 hours. So quite awhile. Mine was probably more of a shock than yours. So you may be fine. What type of corals are closed up?

Oh, forgot to mention, some SPS frags bleached too ;Blackeye

OP
OP
Bleigh

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice! What did you pick up?

Not sure on all of it

• Kenya tree
  • burning banana
  • a green plate of some sort
  • These 5 from a raffle
  • spiderman monti
  • scramabled eggs zoa
  • 3 other zoas that I can't remember the names of.... lol
I've gotten 3 corals off the WWC live sale so far too... GI Joe favia, xenia, and Snow Leopard Leptastrea

Skynyrd Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would let it come down as you are doing. The ac will take care of the rest. To quick of a drop can cause problems also. It sucks that happened. Hopefully you’ll be ok, as your tank is looking good. How’s that 60 you picked up?

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure on all of it

• Kenya tree
  • burning banana
  • These 5 from a raffle
  • spiderman monti
  • scramabled eggs zoa
I've gotten 3 corals off the WWC live sale so far too... GI Joe favia, xenia, and Snow Leopard Leptastrea
Very nice !

OP
OP
Bleigh

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At least 24 hours. So quite awhile. Mine was probably more of a shock than yours. So you may be fine. What type of corals are closed up?

Oh, forgot to mention, some SPS frags bleached too ;Blackeye

acans, blasto, zoas were closed up. Some of them only partially closed.

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure on all of it

• Kenya tree
  • burning banana
  • These 5 from a raffle
  • spiderman monti
  • scramabled eggs zoa
I also had a Kenya tree. It wilted. Did yours just close up? If so, you should be fine.

OP
OP
Bleigh

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would let it come down as you are doing. The ac will take care of the rest. To quick of a drop can cause problems also. It sucks that happened. Hopefully you’ll be ok, as your tank is looking good. How’s that 60 you picked up?

Yeah, I was worried about the ice packs cause I was afraid that too fast of a drop would be problematic, but I read that a lot of people have done that. Down to 84.6

OP
OP
Bleigh

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also had a Kenya tree. It wilted. Did yours just close up? If so, you should be fine.

The kenya tree was purchased in Atlanta, so it came home with me. It's sitting on the counter waiting to be put in.....

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 41.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 19.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back