OP
Bleigh

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Place ice packs in sump, not tank . The inhabitants adjusted with temp as it climbed. They will do the same as it decreases.
As temps rise, oxygen levels get low. Should turn out positive
I don't have a sump for by biocube.

OP
OP
Bleigh

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Bleigh , how is everything looking today?

Everything seems to have settled in. I did keep the lights off and put another ice pack in early in the morning yesterday because the temp seemed to be nudging up again. I suspect it was the latent energy trapped in the rock and sand heating up the water. My fridge actually freaked out yesterday too. I ended up taking it apart and shooting a hair dryer at it to defrost it. I was like... and so summer in the south begins.

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everything seems to have settled in. I did keep the lights off and put another ice pack in early in the morning yesterday because the temp seemed to be nudging up again. I suspect it was the latent energy trapped in the rock and sand heating up the water. My fridge actually freaked out yesterday too. I ended up taking it apart and shooting a hair dryer at it to defrost it. I was like... and so summer in the south begins.
When it rains it pours don't it, lol!!! Glad everything seems to doing good.

OP
OP
Bleigh

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just put these on both heaters in my tanks. After your issue, would be well worth it to never happen again.
https://www.marinedepot.com/Smart_T...Xrkb6ADAbgLX0vMy39hLuniy5Li32ydIaArnTEALw_wcB

That does look nice. Fortunately (or unfortunately), this wasn't due to the heater. I was away for the weekend and the air conditioning in the house wasn't on. The ambient temperature heated up the tank. The house had gotten into the 90's. It is back down to the low 70's and the tank has stayed under 80 so far today, though I do keep checking on it. A chiller will def be in my future.

OP
OP
Bleigh

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On a positive note, sudden temp changes have led to unexpected spawning, etc, so hopefully something good will come out of this for you!

This is a good reminder for all, we have 3 Nest thermostats in our house and I had them on auto-away upper range of 80. This is the first summer with a new tank for me, so I changed the upper to 75F. So far I noticed that the tank runs by apprx 5F higher on a hot day (e.g. Nest set to 75F, tank gets to no more than 80F). I try to maintain at 78F, so for 3 weeks now, mine swings (gradually) by 2 degrees up and down (we run the house at 66F at night). I am hoping that also makes fish and corals more resilient.

Finally, lets not forget that temp swings in nature are probably more dramatic.

Hope your fish and corals recover soon!

I use nests as well! And good point! Very good reminder for everyone to check the settings on thermostats , especially if it's a first summer with a tank. I had it set up as freshwater before this. I am sure it got hot then too, but the corals sure show their displeasure more spectacularly than any of the previous inhabitants ever did.

OP
OP
Bleigh

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is doing the same thing. What return pump do you run??

I use the pump that came with the biocube. I don't have anyhitng super fancy.... yet

tenor.gif

OP
OP
Bleigh

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When it rains it pours don't it, lol!!! Glad everything seems to doing good.

For real! I went and checked the air units too, just in case.... :D

Greg Witherell

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An easy and inexpensive way of controlling temp is with a temperature controller, Amazon has a Bayite controller for 32.99 plug your heater into it and a 6 inch clip on fan for cooling. I maintain a .5 degree temp with this setup on a 100 gallon in Socal where summers are hot. I use two fans blowing across the top of the tank or you can use them over the sump. You really don't need a chiller unless you have a really big tank.

OP
OP
Bleigh

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An easy and inexpensive way of controlling temp is with a temperature controller, Amazon has a Bayite controller for 32.99 plug your heater into it and a 6 inch clip on fan for cooling. I maintain a .5 degree temp with this setup on a 100 gallon in Socal where summers are hot. I use two fans blowing across the top of the tank or you can use them over the sump. You really don't need a chiller unless you have a really big tank.

I still have the stock biocube top. I'd have to think about how to get a fan attached to it. But that's a great idea. Unfortunately, the 20 gallons of water (or so) will heat up much faster than 100 gallons, so I think I'm going to have to do something one way or the other.

tah532

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That does look nice. Fortunately (or unfortunately), this wasn't due to the heater. I was away for the weekend and the air conditioning in the house wasn't on. The ambient temperature heated up the tank. The house had gotten into the 90's. It is back down to the low 70's and the tank has stayed under 80 so far today, though I do keep checking on it. A chiller will def be in my future.
Ahhh ok...its all clear now

OP
OP
Bleigh

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is brand is your heater? Aqueon??

Cobalt accu-therm, but the temp increase wasn't due to the heater. It was because the house got super hot because I was out of town and the AC has an auto-turn off feature if it knows no one is home. The feature has since been disabled. Glad it happened while I was gone for the weekend and not over a week vacay.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I don't have a sump for by biocube.
There is a little chamber in back (where return pump is)considered a little sump - Yes ??

OP
OP
Bleigh

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a little chamber in back (where return pump is)considered a little sump - Yes ??

Yeah I put it back there. I think I said somewhere "so that all the water would have to run directly over it".

gtrider

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
brutal. i hope everything continues to recover. though expensive, my apex has given me comfort when traveling. it also saved me on my last trip.. somehow (maybe the company i paid to fill my ATO and empty my skimmer) my ATO sensor got knocked off so the water level in the sump fell below the temp sensor, and my apex sent me an alert of low temp (it was measuring air temp).. so i had my neighbor go over and facetime me and i saw the problem :)

Ferrell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure on all of it

• Kenya tree
  • burning banana
  • a green plate of some sort
  • These 5 from a raffle
  • spiderman monti
  • scramabled eggs zoa
  • 3 other zoas that I can't remember the names of.... lol
I've gotten 3 corals off the WWC live sale so far too... GI Joe favia, xenia, and Snow Leopard Leptastrea
You’ll like that GI Joe. This is the one I got last sale
5840C110-FC2A-465C-AFC0-A87E506A6EF4.jpeg

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello;

My 240 tank averages close to 80-81 even though my house is at 68 and heaters are at 75. Even at 81 I haven’t noticed a major difference or changes. In the natural reefs when low tide goes out the corals are exposed to direct sunlight and they seem to do fine as the water comes back in. I would suggest like you did slowly cooling it, and then try and keep it between 78-81 degrees.

OP
OP
Bleigh

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m sure an apex is in my future with
Out of curiosity was your thermostat a Nest or a brand with similar functions?

Yeah it's a nest. I had the max temp set too high for the fish tank. Lesson learned and crisis averted.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 43 42.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 21.6%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back