OP
Bleigh

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would let it come down as you are doing. The ac will take care of the rest. To quick of a drop can cause problems also. It sucks that happened. Hopefully you’ll be ok, as your tank is looking good. How’s that 60 you picked up?

Thanks! Hopefully it will be looking great tomorrow. I'm ordering a sump from aquatic habitats for the 60 gallon! They are super sharp!

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I was worried about the ice packs cause I was afraid that too fast of a drop would be problematic, but I read that a lot of people have done that. Down to 84.6
I did the ice packs
The kenya tree was purchased in Atlanta, so it came home with me. It's sitting on the counter waiting to be put in.....
oh I see. If the max temp you hit was 88, you should be fine. A dead coral is obvious. I should’ve taken pics of mine. I had a Kenya tree wilt. A xenia. Zoas survived along with all my euphyllia. Lost a staghorn and acros due to eventual bleaching.

OP
OP
Bleigh

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did the ice packs

oh I see. If the max temp you hit was 88, you should be fine. A dead coral is obvious. I should’ve taken pics of mine. I had a Kenya tree wilt. A xenia. Zoas survived along with all my euphyllia. Lost a staghorn and acros due to eventual bleaching.

I just checked on them again... the Blastos look like their opening up, the acans had tentacle extended. The mushrooms look really sad still though.

jmsalt1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you QT all those new purchases or do they get dipped and then into your DT?

OP
OP
Bleigh

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm hoping I'll be okay. The acans have their tentacles out and the blastos and zoas are all opening... I'm only nervous about my dragon soul torch and maybe a mushroom or two.... Hard to tell because the lights are all off.

KorD

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have built a fan box for my tank. It seems to run hot no matter what I do.
IMG_20190419_144759647_HDR.jpeg

My tank stays about 82-83°F even with my fans running.. Texas sucks.

Anywho.. just remember a lot of the water most of out stuff comes from is warmer then we keep our tanks a good amount of time out of the year.

OP
OP
Bleigh

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have built a fan box for my tank. It seems to run hot no matter what I do.
IMG_20190419_144759647_HDR.jpeg

My tank stays about 82-83°F even with my fans running.. Texas sucks.

Anywho.. just remember a lot of the water most of out stuff comes from is warmer then we keep our tanks a good amount of time out of the year.

North Carolina here. Yeah... the "off if no one is home" setting is going to have to go away on the air conditioner... not cool... plus I may buy a cooler just in case... Would suck if the power went out over the summer and I lost all my corals to heat stroke... kinda glad I had a minor heart attack over it if they all survive. great way to learn my lesson. (Without much loss :D)

KorD

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
North Carolina here. Yeah... the "off if no one is home" setting is going to have to go away on the air conditioner... not cool... plus I may buy a cooler just in case... Would suck if the power went out over the summer and I lost all my corals to heat stroke... kinda glad I had a minor heart attack over it if they all survive. great way to learn my lesson. (Without much loss :D)
I only have my power head and my fans hooked to a battery backup in case of power issues. I have it set so if I lose power my tank lowers just enough where the power head kicks a little but of bubbles into the main display keeping it well oxygenated
I'm a nerd when it comes.to getting up my tanks..lol

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i was out of town this weekend. I had someone feeding the fish and thought everything would be okay. I walked in and saw a lot of them were closed up. I wondered what she did while she was feeding them to make them go wonky. Then I realized the tank was up to 88 degrees.

The air conditioning in my house automatically turns off if there’s no one around. So that’s a setting I’ve already turned off.

I put ice packs in the tank to bring the temp down and did a water change. I also pointed the return at the surface for more surface disturbance. The air conditioning is back on and the house is cooling down.

I asked the girl who fed them if the corals were closed up when she came by, but she hasn’t responded. It’s down to 85.5. Please tell me my corals aren’t going to die. :(

Point a fan at the sump to accelerate evaporation which will help cool the tank. The ice packs are a good idea; I have bottles of frozen water on standby for just such an emergency.

Understand that the tank took time to get up to the 88 degrees. It wasn't instant, but occurred over many hours. In my experience, that works to your advantage.

I think your corals will be fine, just bring the temperature down gradually. The water changes are a good idea; I don't think about water changes as a fix for elevated temperature, but I see why it works.

What about fish in the tank; how are they doing?

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Point a fan at the sump to accelerate evaporation which will help cool the tank. The ice packs are a good idea; I have bottles of frozen water on standby for just such an emergency.

Understand that the tank took time to get up to the 88 degrees. It wasn't instant, but occurred over many hours. In my experience, that works to your advantage.

I think your corals will be fine, just bring the temperature down gradually. The water changes are a good idea; I don't think about water changes as a fix for elevated temperature, but I see why it works.

I’ve found fish to be happier in higher temps. But I guess we usually keep our tanks at a temp that our corals prefer and fish just have to deal with it.

OP
OP
Bleigh

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I did the water change because the water was about 5 degrees cooler than the tank. Somehow. So that helped it drop about half a degree. I think the crisis has been averted though. Temp is down. Fish are totally happy. And everything is opening up.

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did the water change because the water was about 5 degrees cooler than the tank. Somehow. So that helped it drop about half a degree. I think the crisis has been averted though. Temp is down. Fish are totally happy. And everything is opening up.
Glad to hear that!

Lissa1987

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also had a two days out of town episode...Thankfully I didn't have any coral in the tank...It is habit for us to shut off the Ac when we leave town (which we used to do a lot)...We had just started the tank so we never even thought about the effect no A/c would have...Came home to a tank at about 90 degrees (live in Florida) and one very ticked off Trigger.....Otherwise everyone else was still happy...

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Place ice packs in sump, not tank . The inhabitants adjusted with temp as it climbed. They will do the same as it decreases.
As temps rise, oxygen levels get low. Should turn out positive

Butuz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On a positive note, sudden temp changes have led to unexpected spawning, etc, so hopefully something good will come out of this for you!

This is a good reminder for all, we have 3 Nest thermostats in our house and I had them on auto-away upper range of 80. This is the first summer with a new tank for me, so I changed the upper to 75F. So far I noticed that the tank runs by apprx 5F higher on a hot day (e.g. Nest set to 75F, tank gets to no more than 80F). I try to maintain at 78F, so for 3 weeks now, mine swings (gradually) by 2 degrees up and down (we run the house at 66F at night). I am hoping that also makes fish and corals more resilient.

Finally, lets not forget that temp swings in nature are probably more dramatic.

Hope your fish and corals recover soon!

mandi29221

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i was out of town this weekend. I had someone feeding the fish and thought everything would be okay. I walked in and saw a lot of them were closed up. I wondered what she did while she was feeding them to make them go wonky. Then I realized the tank was up to 88 degrees.

The air conditioning in my house automatically turns off if there’s no one around. So that’s a setting I’ve already turned off.

I put ice packs in the tank to bring the temp down and did a water change. I also pointed the return at the surface for more surface disturbance. The air conditioning is back on and the house is cooling down.

I asked the girl who fed them if the corals were closed up when she came by, but she hasn’t responded. It’s down to 85.5. Please tell me my corals aren’t going to die. :(
My tank is doing the same thing. What return pump do you run??

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 44 72.1%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 7 11.5%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 8 13.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.3%
Back