How and where should Install a UV?

ke1023610

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, it’s your humble guy again with another question. So, I finally get up my 150 lagoon. I notice that I want to get an UV, I was looking at some vids and some articles on how and where to install but everybody has a different opinion on it. I wanted to place a pump on my first section of the sump where I have my reef mat, run it to the UV and drop the outlet of the UV to my skimmer section, refugium, or the return section. Let me know if that’s a good idea I never used an UV before please let me know your opinions thanks you and MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL OF YOU, STAY SAFE AND KEEP ENJOYING THIS BEAUTIFUL HOBBY

ReefingDreams

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, it’s your humble guy again with another question. So, I finally get up my 150 lagoon. I notice that I want to get an UV, I was looking at some vids and some articles on how and where to install but everybody has a different opinion on it. I wanted to place a pump on my first section of the sump where I have my reef mat, run it to the UV and drop the outlet of the UV to my skimmer section, refugium, or the return section. Let me know if that’s a good idea I never used an UV before please let me know your opinions thanks you and MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL OF YOU, STAY SAFE AND KEEP ENJOYING THIS BEAUTIFUL HOBBY
What are you trying to accomplish with the UV?

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a UV in the main display. Mine also has an air stone that releases oxygen into the water every 5 minutes or so. This is in my 125. The one I have in my 70 I put in the filtration chamber (all in one setup). Hopefully that helps

ReefingDreams

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want water quality to be better, also want pest free from fish
All depends on flow rates and UV power. You really can't have both with a single UV sterilizer. Slower rates for pathogens, higher rates for clarity (bacterial and algae). That said, just about any configuration is fine. But try to mount the sterilizer body in an orientation that when the pump is off, water stays inside the body. This reduces the chance of running the bulb without water. I like your idea of intake in an earlier compartment and then output further down the line so you're not sterilizing the same water over and over and are maximizing efficiency from that standpoint. When I use my sterilizers, it is on the return line. Not a separate pump or manifold.

TheBear78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don't need a UV. However, if you fancy one then using a separate pump as you are would be my choice. I would certainly return the radiated water back to a later sump section, probably to the refugium to rotate chaeto or stir dead spots. It could even be utilised for extra reactors.
I would rather keep the main return circuit as simple and uncluttered as possible.

OP
OP
K

ke1023610

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don't need a UV. However, if you fancy one then using a separate pump as you are would be my choice. I would certainly return the radiated water back to a later sump section, probably to the refugium to rotate chaeto or stir dead spots. It could even be utilised for extra reactors.
I would rather keep the main return circuit as simple and uncluttered as possible.
Yeah I will think about that thanks

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back