How are my SPS doing?

fishy408

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is about 8 months old and started adding SPS frags about 3 weeks ago.

Parameters:
PAR between 240-350 average. Alkalinity 8.3, Calcium 490, Magnesium 1425

Feeding 4 times a days 3 mixed pellet and 1 frozen brine shrimp (half a cube) - having to dose phosphate and nitrate to keep above 0.
Phosphate .01, Nitrate 2

Some of the Acropora are encrusting on the frag plug with polyp extensions while others do not seem to do as well. For flow I have 2x MP40 on either side at 50% Reefcrest mode most of the day.

How do they look?

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank looks pretty sterile for being 8 months old.
Frags look ok. Euphyllia look happy.
PAR levels are good. Maybe some more flow. Calc and Mag are a little high.
I'm curious if they were all fresh cut frags, since the frag plugs are so white.

OP
OP
fishy408

fishy408

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank looks pretty sterile for being 8 months old.
Frags look ok. Euphyllia look happy.
PAR levels are good. Maybe some more flow. Calc and Mag are a little high.
I'm curious if they were all fresh cut frags, since the frag plugs are so white.

A couple of the frags at the beginning of the video were a couple of weeks on the frag while the rest were about 3 weeks. My tank seems to have trouble growing algae, the diatom phase lasted less than a week. I do get green dusting on the glass but not much else growing.

Flow was definitely a concern, thanks for pointing that out. I have am having trouble finding a placement for the blasto if I increase the flow.

Ancient Mariner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks pretty good! Acros look happy. In my experience some acros look good for a few weeks then shut down, some take a few weeks to perk up, and some take off and don’t stop! I can’t predict. For an 8 month old tank you can’t complain but don’t be too complacent! I had significant acropora losses the first year while montis, stylos, and Seriatopora trudged on. After 1.5 years my acros started to consistently survive and do well.

OP
OP
fishy408

fishy408

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep an eye on the torch coral at the beginning of the video. The tissue looks receeded.

This torch was a healing project. It came to me 2/3 dead and has gone through multiple iodine dip and cleaning. I used a dremel tool to cut off the dead skeleton, but couldn't remove all the dead skeleton as some parts were to close to the flesh. I am hoping that it can stay alive.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 14.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 69 57.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 6.6%
Back