How are you paving the way?????

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you ever stepped back for a second and thought about how everything you share is paving the way for future reefers??? What do you do to make it the best road possible???

clowns101

Clown and Anemone Crazy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I havent ever thought that,Im not sure if I really effect many people,I know Im glad to help,but I dont know if I am much help...

Dave3112

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats a great topic! I had to think a minute......I try to make an effort to pass on frags for free to help get new reefers started. I have done this numerous times because this is what others have done for me in the past. I just feel like its good to "share the love" especially for folks just starting out.

Harry_Y

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tend to pass on things to the new guys
(usually for a low price or free) as I upgrade etc.

I also like to spread around frags etc. (typically for free)
it helps the new guys get going a little easier.

Sometimes I get lucky and I get something passed back to me.

I'm just spreading around the joy.

florida reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I try to hook local reefers up with stuff as much as possible. I always say, this hobby is way to expensive to not have friends. Also, if someone shows the slightest interest in reef keeping I will try and answer any questions they have and open up discussion about the topic. I don't view it as paving the way, just trying to share the fun!

OP
OP
Troylee

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think here especially when typing something is gonna make it better for the next person etc... Asking questions and having problems in certain areas is gonna help the next guy... Let's face it someone will be reading this thread in 5 years and be like right on that's my problem or answer I was looking for!!!! Not only giving frags and deals etc helps but most of this forum is the biggest help IMHO... I Could never have achieved what I have if it wasn't for the forums... The info is the most precious part IMHO!!!!!!! I think we all Could help this by not just shouting the first thing that comes to mind but actually stop for a min read our notes etc and give good hard facts!!!!!

KLR

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I havent thought of this, but honestly I probably have not done anything to help anyone dramatically in the hobby....Besides helping new reefers with basic stuff.....

skinz78

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As I don't really have any other local reefers to me I can't give or get frags so that option is out to me. I try to help out where I can on R2R and teach people what I have learned from the mistakes I have made. I am jealous of the newb's of today compared to the newbs of say 10 years ago. I learned the hard way, on my own.

ReefDreams

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I help by teaching them what i know,also informing people about forums which helped me alot. And if a friend or someone is interested in setting up a tank i help them source a system out and set it up. I also gave frags/fish/equipment away to people who were starting out. i know when i 1st started i got token advantage of by a some stores cause i was new and excited and didnt know better.but once i found the forums and learned and they never saw me again lol. I mostly try to not let what happened to me happen to new reefers.

BlazinNano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just try to help. I will give stuff away when they get to big. Well the easier stuff. At our next local club meeting I am bringing a 5 gallon bucket full of purple base toadstool frags, GSP frags, and a handful of zenia. Take it if you want it. Also there is a girl in the club who is only 15 with a nano. She does not have a car and she is not old enough to drive. If someone is selling something and I want something and she wants something I will pick her piece up and bring it to her. Also she has had some problems with bad info in the past and I have gone over there and helped her fix her tank. It is kinda funny because me and my fiance are the only two people her mom has let come over to help her out. It actually makes me happy to help her and get her tank back in order. She lives about 20 mins from me. She was using tapwater because the nearest LFS is about 45 mins from her house. Every week for free I take her 10 gallons of RODI.

OP
OP
Troylee

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool story man!!! I also try to help by giving stuff away like frag tanks at our
Local meetings building stuff people can't afford and giving frags etc...
I just try to help. I will give stuff away when they get to big. Well the easier stuff. At our next local club meeting I am bringing a 5 gallon bucket full of purple base toadstool frags, GSP frags, and a handful of zenia. Take it if you want it. Also there is a girl in the club who is only 15 with a nano. She does not have a car and she is not old enough to drive. If someone is selling something and I want something and she wants something I will pick her piece up and bring it to her. Also she has had some problems with bad info in the past and I have gone over there and helped her fix her tank. It is kinda funny because me and my fiance are the only two people her mom has let come over to help her out. It actually makes me happy to help her and get her tank back in order. She lives about 20 mins from me. She was using tapwater because the nearest LFS is about 45 mins from her house. Every week for free I take her 10 gallons of RODI.

thewackyreefer

(formerly luvmyacans)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, it's great to see how many other people are helping out new reefers. I myself like to donate older used equipment and the very few things I frag to new reefers as well. I actually ended up giving away my last 30g with a sump to a new reefer and it's been great to see how his tank has progressed.

I think it would be really cool if we had a section in the selling/trading forum for those times when we do want to donate corals or equipment to someone.

johnanddawn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i would like to think i help out new reefers quite a bit
as a reefer who has been in the hobby for a long time i always share my experiences with anyone who asks
my local club is extremely new reefer freindly and we as a group have helped many get started
i also have a science background and like to experiment a bit, and share both the good and bad i encounter without predudice because i am not trying to convince anyone my way is the only way.
a good exp. of that is in lighting; i have tried every type out there and give a no holds barred answer if your looking at PC, VHO,T5, MH or LED tech with both the pros and cons. i have also done bb, ssb, and dsb and again although i have a personal preference for me, i will help someone do whichever they choose for themselves - correctly
i think too often people come across as this is the only way to new comers, so they are left to choose who they believe not the facts about each system
in this regard i think many advice givers actually are more harmful then productive. i think all advice needs to be predicated with -"this is what works for me" or "this seems to help" but there are many ways to acheive the same end goal and have a beautiful reef tank

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 14 9.3%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 43 28.7%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 71 47.3%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 19 12.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back