How big is your Quarantine Tank ? Show Us Your QT ?

JoseNovoa

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_5448.JPG
40b with a sump not in use at the moment

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know theres tons of info here on qt that i have read through but im guna ask anyway. Is it better to qt just for observation at first or "medicate" anyway to treat things that may be there. If just observing is it necessary to wait longer than 4 weeks if the fish appear happy and healthy? I know im piggy backing off this thread just want to make sure im doing stuff correctly when i get to that point.

I always recommend treating for flukes and ich regardless of what the fish look like. Odds are these fish have been exposed to those two at a minimum during their travels.

Philt56

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you explain point of QT for corals and inverts if you can't treat with any copper or meds? Unless you just QT them for the whole 78 day fallow period?

Thanks

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

XocyrusX

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_1742.JPG

IM 40 Gal placed in my Linen Closet. Keep a damsel and six line in there at all times when not QTing. Agree with @Humblefish on batches. With a bit of buying/planning it works well.

Also have a Nest Cam on the QT so I can watch them with the door closed and at work....

ThunderGoose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine doesn't look nearly as neat and tidy as many of the QT on here. I don't have a lot of space; that's why there's a bunch of equipment and parts on top of the QT. I could put it in the basement but I like to be able to keep an eye on things without having to make a special trip downstairs. It's right in my home office, reminding me to do water testing and observations every day.

I use an old 20 gallon with an HOB sized for a 55 gallon tank. Right now I have a watchmen goby in there, hence the sand. She didn't like the deeper container but she does like to get between the plate and the deep container so I left it in there. It's going to be "fun" to clean up all that sand when she get moved into the DT.

I treat proactively with Prazipro and Copper, the whole QT procedure takes 6 weeks (acclimate first, Prazipro, then copper, then observe). I also have a separate, 10 gallon QT for corals and inverts which is not currently set up. I've never had Ick or Velvet (which sounds better when you don't know that I'm on my first reef tank and I only have two fish in the DT so far ;)). I'm trying real hard to take things slow.

QT 2 march 1 2017.jpg
QT March 1 2017.jpg

jcoopcycle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 40 , but thinking of several smaller ang going the TTM route. Mabye using the 40 for coral and inverts

Vette67

Reefing since 1997
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go big or go home. 150 gallon Rubbermaid tank with 48" venturi skimmer powered by PanWorld 150PS. Also running a fluidized sand filter for biological filtration. I am using CopperSafe. The tank is filled about half way, so I have about 80 gallons in the system. I'm running a MaxiJet 1200 with the impeller for circulation. So far, everyone has been happy. I have 5 tangs, an angel, 2 clowns, 3 bangii, and pseudochromis in the tank.
SX_ukTPhHjLKTB-ie_VHp64ZBXmsOlWArQ5Up-prol3q8ea7joPeN251noXFOl1fpPX1VrDeFYk38JU=w1276-h812-rw

Since this app won't let me show the image anywhere except in the edit window, here's a link...
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/S...joPeN251noXFOl1fpPX1VrDeFYk38JU=w1276-h812-rw

Last edited:

Forsaken77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally planning to set-up a proper Quarantine Tank, and I'd like to see what others are doing for QT. Please share photos, and describe tank size and set-up.

I am currently using the old school Eclipse 12 gallon tank with biowheel and filter pad built into the hood.

I actually just bought the Fluval 13.5 gallon saltwater Evo tank for my new quarantine tank. It has all the Filtration built into the side wall, so it's actually a usable 12 gallon tank, and has reef lighting built into the hood for those that require it at an affordable price. There's also a pretty mandatory upgrade from a company called inTank. They make media baskets for biocubes and Fluval tanks. The stock filtration is crap. But it's a very nice looking QT tank or nano tank.

I try to keep my QT tank around 10 gallons so I don't have to go through so many meds for it. Right now in the Eclipse 12 I have 2 - 4" fish. I am treating with antibiotics and do a 10 gallon water change every 3 days so the toxins don't build up. I also have the Seachem Ammonia Alert on it so I have constant monitoring of Ammonia.

Using smaller tanks, IMO, is easier to maintain, cheaper with meds, and keeps the treatment concentrated in a small area. I have 3 tanks available to use, but I never needed more than one.

Just a quick note about the Fluval Evo 13.5, if you're interested in this tank for whatever reason, Drs Foster & Smith has the cheapest price by far.

Tomisue

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a small tank as a quarantine tank, but since I don't use it often, I use it primarily as a pod farm. I have live rock which the tisbe pods live on. I remove a piece of rock from main tanks sump and trade it for the rock in the quarantine tank thereby assuring a strong pod population. The tank is cloudy because I just fed the tank.
71678c81ff696c56fc82c2c2cf69d25c.jpg
What kind of filter system is in that tank?

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is that a 5 gallon with regular filter pump on back?
It's a 20 gallon with a Fluval 50 HOB filter.

The shell is big which is probably why the tank looks small.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I generally use 2 - 29 gallon totes or 2 - 10gallon tanks for TTM and the a 40gallon breeder for holding/observation and deworming.

IMG_1300.JPG
IMG_1294.JPG

HA! Love it!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 42.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 20.0%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 43 34.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back