How do I read the Salifert Phosphate test kit?!

Cantusaurus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ughhhhh. I kinda regret getting the Salifert Phosphate test kit. How the hell am I supposed to efficiently tell between 0.03 and 0.25. It is not too bad to tell that it is above 0.03, but that is where it becomes VERY difficult to read. I quadruple guess myself since at different angles/amounts of light it looks different. The color is so bad :(
I honestly would rather use the API test kit since the yellow to green gives a more definite color difference, and I can kinda guesstimate a bit better then trying to read the Salifert color.

Does anyone have any tips?? Please, I hope there is a good way to look at the results, and trying to get a good reading.

(And I know Hanna has the "best" phosphate kit. I know. I just wanted ballpark numbers between certain points, and I cannot even get that here).
I just want to make sure my Phosphate stays above 0.03 and below 0.1.

OP
OP
Cantusaurus

Cantusaurus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, buy the Nyos phosphate kit.
I am so ticked off at myself for not buying it. I was debating about it, and went with the cheaper option since I thought the color deciphering would at least be somewhat sufficient. Ughhhhhh what a waste.

flyfisher2

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No color matching with the Hanna. It's a little pricey at first but eliminates the guessing game. I use the Salifert because it's cheap and if it's kinda wacky to read (and it usually is) I go to the Hanna and see that 0 is actually 0.06-7 in my case. Black Friday coming soon!
Keep an eye out

madlos123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe im just laid back but as long as i am seeing light blue im good and if i see clear i dose po4 and if i see dark blue then thats when to push the red button ;Hilarious

kingjames_dc5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m my experience it’s very hard test to identify an accurate number. I have also had the same issue your having at one point I couldn’t even get a reading. Your better off spending the money for Hanna. Way more user friendly and accurate.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends what lvl PO4 you are aiming for, if below 0.1 then I found with that test kit, even the slightly hint of blue meant you needed to lower your PO4, basically you don’t want to see any blue.

IMO it’s impossible to read anything lower than 0.1 with that test kit and the others I’ve tried,( Elos high resolution was slightly better ) which is fine if under 0.1 is your goal and not bothered what number it is but you then run the risk of not knowing if you hit zero PO4 which is not good.

I have tried them all, I tried the Hanna 774 checker last but should have started with that one, would have saved me a lot of money.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 125 88.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back