How do I remove this divider in my overflow box?

Bars

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After weeks of pushing it back, I've finally decided to start modifying my overflow box to make room for an emergency drain and durso pipe.

However... The space is very tight and the tank is still full of water. So far I managed to cut away the silicone on the sides using a guitar string. I still have about 3 inches to go, but I can't seem to make it through any further. I also still have to remove the silicone on the bottom.

Any ideas how to do this? Pulling both ends of the string through the drain holes results in it just scraping the glass instead of going through the last bit of silicone. It's quit a thick divider and still barely moves, so I have to cut it all the way through.

20210117_191607.jpg 20210117_191558.jpg

RocketEngineer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use two broomstick size wood dowels to hold the wire. Drill a hole in the end of each at an angle so the wire goes in through the bottom and out through the side so you can get the wire all the way down.

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This sounds like a job for someone with little arms (my kids).

OP
OP
Bars

Bars

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use two broomstick size wood dowels to hold the wire. Drill a hole in the end of each at an angle so the wire goes in through the bottom and out through the side so you can get the wire all the way down.
I like this, that'll make it a lot easier to cut the bottom part as well. Can I use pvc tubing as well? That's what I have on hand.
wonder if this is strong enough, or there are wire clay cutters too

This is the same idea as the wood dowels, correct?
This sounds like a job for someone with little arms (my kids).
Hahaha! I wish! Unfortunately no kids anywhere near, so I'll have to do it myself.

OP
OP
Bars

Bars

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just tried it with the pvc tubing, since I have tons of it anyway. Didn't seem like I could get it through. Then again, I probably cut off too much of the string. I figure if I can stick the tubes through the drain holes I can cut through.

Unfortunately the string snapped, so I'll be picking up some fishing line tomorrow morning.

Back