How do I set up a sump?

arkodios

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m planning on getting a 32 gallon Fiji Cube with an external overflow. I’ve never had a saltwater tank though I do own some freshwater ones. I’m planning on keeping 2 ocellaris clownfish and a bubble tip anemone. I wanted to get a sump but not spend too much money on one, so I found these sump kits online. I found this on ebay:

It has 5 chambers. What would I put in each one? No matter how much I look things up online I can’t seem to figure out how to set this up. I’m planning on a Tunze 9004 DC protein skimmer, but I don’t know what chamber this would go in. It’s meant for a 20 long, but I just think a 20 long is awkward since its 30” while the display tank is 24”, so the tank would have a lot of extra space on the stand. I was thinking I could put the baffles in a 15 gallon instead, since it’s just 6” shorter, but this would cramp the chambers a bit so it might not be a good idea. What do I do? Can anyone explain why the baffles are set up the way they are and what each chamber should/could hold?

Here is a pic by the seller of the sump in its ideal 20 long setup:

7C361EE2-5730-405F-8AAC-F3B7F0F52869.jpeg

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcme to the hobby and to Reef2Reef! FWIW I just use aquariums without the dividers. If you use the one in your post the drain would go through on of the holes on the back left and your pump would be in the chamber on the right. I'd say your primary considerations should be ease of maintenance and redundancy.

Here's teh sump on one of my systems that I've have turkey wing clams reproduce in:

240 Sump, started in 1997

Since you're new here's and article and some videos you might find informative:

"Coral Reefs in the Microbial Seas"

Changing Seas - Mysterious Microbes

Nitrogen cycling in hte coral holobiont

BActeria and Sponges

Maintenance of Coral Reef Health (refferences at the end)

Optical Feedback Loop in Colorful Coral Bleaching

Richard Ross What's up with phosphate"

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 41 36.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 33 29.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back