HOW DO I TREAT POPEYE!?!??!??!?!?

TangGang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Popeye is pretty difficult and can cause permanent damage in my experience, I’d try to continue to knock that ich out. I’m my experience, Popeye is best treated with maintaining super clean water so I’d say keep up on water changes and make sure you feed them a lot because they might start to go blind for a while that’s what happened to one of my anthias and it was well fed before so it was able to get better. Good luck, and you can go to the humble.fish forum they give the best advice any advice I need I get from them. Good luck

OP
OP
Unitylover

Unitylover

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Popeye is pretty difficult and can cause permanent damage in my experience, I’d try to continue to knock that ich out. I’m my experience, Popeye is best treated with maintaining super clean water so I’d say keep up on water changes and make sure you feed them a lot because they might start to go blind for a while that’s what happened to one of my anthias and it was well fed before so it was able to get better. Good luck, and you can go to the humble.fish forum they give the best advice any advice I need I get from them. Good luck
they arent eating due to ich

TangGang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d be surprised if it’s ich if they aren’t eating, usually fish still have at least a small appetite with ich. Can you post pictures, I’m worried it could be velvet. What are you feeding? You might want to try adding garlic to their food, or maybe try some live foods like live brine might be successful. I’ve never been successful with live blackworms but I hear amazing things, those might be worth a shot, mixing their food with oyester feast has done the trick for me before. Id try a variety of different foods, getting them to eat is the most important thing. Also, how are you treating for ich/ what medication and or method are you using?

OP
OP
Unitylover

Unitylover

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d be surprised if it’s ich if they aren’t eating, usually fish still have at least a small appetite with ich. Can you post pictures, I’m worried it could be velvet. What are you feeding? You might want to try adding garlic to their food, or maybe try some live foods like live brine might be successful. I’ve never been successful with live blackworms but I hear amazing things, those might be worth a shot, mixing their food with oyester feast has done the trick for me before. Id try a variety of different foods, getting them to eat is the most important thing. Also, how are you treating for ich/ what medication and or method are you using?
the ich is almost cured, as they are starting to move more and I see less spots, the popeye is getting better.
(i feed omega one fish flakes which are infused with garlic)

TangGang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good it sounds like it’s getting better, just gotta hope that they start eating soon and then you will be all set, the popeye will most likely go away after a couple days to a couple weeks.

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When one of my puffers developed popeye, metroplex seemed to help clear it up.
Generally super clean water is all you need, antibiotics can help too.
What did you use to treat the ich, and was this in a qt tank or the dt? I ask because many meds can be problematic to reefs (specifically copper based).

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My fish have ick, and they also have popeye, I did a water change last night, and they perked up.
(im already treating the ick)

First, Super Ick Cure doesn't work well in marine tanks. I know they sell it for that, but it is malachite green and nitrofurazone, that works well for freshwater ich, but not saltwater. If the fish aren't eating, you need an effective treatment in order to get them cured in time.

Then, can you post pictures of the eyes? Are they cloudy and protruding, on all fish? Popeye has three main causes: injury, bacterial disease and gas supersaturation.

Jay

OP
OP
Unitylover

Unitylover

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The ick has been cured! (surprisingly)
And the popeye has went away too! I watch them regularly and their eyes aren't cloudy.
They still wont eat tho...

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe I should try feeding them the bloodworms I have for my freshwater tank?

Yes - you should try different foods, but I think that you need to find the root cause of why they aren't feeding. Pictures, or better yet, a short video would help.

Jay

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW most of my salt fish didn’t care for bloodworms except my gramma and goby. Still worth a shot considering I haven’t otherwise heard of a fish that doesn’t love them.
How long ago did the ich disappear? It can come in waves.

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yesterday
I wouldn’t necessarily say you are out of the woods yet then. Part of the ich life cycle is dropping off the fish to reinfect. Technically you can’t be 100% sure for 76 days, though after 2 weeks you are in a somewhat safer zone imo.

OP
OP
Unitylover

Unitylover

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They just hang out in that area most of the time, only coming out sometimes

Attachments

• 20220118_152553.jpg
    20220118_152553.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 58
  • 20220118_152534.mp4
    66.4 MB

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 38 49.4%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 41 53.2%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 16 20.8%
  • None.

Votes: 19 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 9.1%
Back