How do I weaken a power head?

Sick_man

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I have a 20 gallon long but my powerhead is way too strong even on the lowest setting. It's a jebao ow-10 i think and it work great but it is way too strong. Any ideas on how to weaken it?

BamboozleBean

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a sponge around the power head and that seemed to help a bit as well as trap debris. You can also change your rock work if you want to absorb some of the flow, or angle it towards the glass more. If it’s really still a problem I’d invest in a adjustable one. You can find them for probably around 60-70 bucks.

OP
OP
Sick_man

Sick_man

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a sponge around the power head and that seemed to help a bit as well as trap debris. You can also change your rock work if you want to absorb some of the flow, or angle it towards the glass more. If it’s really still a problem I’d invest in a adjustable one. You can find them for probably around 60-70 bucks.
Yeah mine is adjustable but its far too strong on the weakest setting

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anytime I have a powerhead that is too strong, I try to bounce it off the glass side, so the flow spreads out after defection.

You have to get creative....like someone mention to deflect off a rock where there isn't something that is flow senstive.

However you may not have too much choice in a 20 Gallon tank, if the pump is really oversized, and too powerful.

I wouldn't go and obstruct the Pump Flow since it's just not good for the pump to work harder than it's designed for, and it may break sooner than you expect.

PeterLL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's the voltage of the power supply? I've added an inline PWM to a jeboa before to control the input voltage, which will in turn slow the pump down even further. you just have to get the right PWM for the power supply, here's one for a 12-24v.

Is it as simple as connecting this between the power supply and controller to be able to drastically slow down speed? I have a Jebae CP-55 that is way to fast even on the first setting. If I plug this in how much would I slow it down?

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 to deflecting the flow. I run an OW-25 in my 55 gallon. My marine betta didn't like even the 185gp/h, so I bounce it off the front panel, and it's fine. Also angle it up, aids gas exchange and will further reduce the flow.

92Miata

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would also suggest playing around with positioning. I ran an ow-10 in a Nuvo 10 that had about 6 gallons actual display volume for a long time.

What problems are you having that you think it's too much?

OP
OP
Sick_man

Sick_man

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would also suggest playing around with positioning. I ran an ow-10 in a Nuvo 10 that had about 6 gallons actual display volume for a long time.

What problems are you having that you think it's too much?
I have been messing with it for a while and there is no good position. If i aim it at the glass, the flow goes to the sand bed and makes my acan mad and it also moves the sand. If I am at surface there is still too much flow and the goni gets super mad . Everything seems super happy if very low flow but not my torch coral. I need something that only provides super low flow in the area by my torch.

Super Fly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Or u can replace it with another power head that's either controllable or less powerful... try trading with someone who has a less powerful powerhead or buy one?

Back