How Do My Corals Look

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lighting, flow and (stable) parameters - as mentioned above from several others - are key.

* Flowerpots can be temperamental at times (flow is important)
* Birds nests can be finicky (stable parameters help)

Q: Is that a 0.9ppm phosphate reading or 0.09ppm?
Q: Do you run any GFO in a reactor (etc.) in your tank?

(Sorry if I missed answers to the above in earlier replies).

Viking_Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No major issues imo. Most thing look happy. I would however get those alk swings under control and lower n and p somewhat.
A fuge would probably work wonders…although I find that they are generally better at binding nitrates than phosphates.

N1tew0lf1212

...Cronies Secretary...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No major issues imo. Most thing look happy. I would however get those alk swings under control and lower n and p somewhat.
A fuge would probably work wonders…although I find that they are generally better at binding nitrates than phosphates.
I understand the nitrate phosphate thing and people driving lower nutrient systems but mine is thriving on .1 phos and 44 nitrate no issues or algae coraline growing encrusting of sps so if its working for his system why does he need to lower? Jw tbh cause i never understood the ultra low nutrient systems....

Viking_Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand the nitrate phosphate thing and people driving lower nutrient systems but mine is thriving on .1 phos and 44 nitrate no issues or algae coraline growing encrusting of sps so if its working for his system why does he need to lower? Jw tbh cause i never understood the ultra low nutrient systems....
Some tanks can handle that but generally speaking lower numbers will lead to greater success long term.

OP
OP
ReeferTang44

ReeferTang44

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Birdsnest, for being touted as an easy beginners coral can be finicky. The picture looks ok to me - maybe flow?

What's wrong with the Duncan in your opinion? It looks good in those pictures - at least what I'm seeing.

Gonis are temperamental and can be difficult. They either love your tank or hate it. I find mine like a medium flow, very random. When it's too high they tend to stay closed or at least tight to the skeleton.

The hammer makes me think flow is fairly low in the tank?
I took the pictures with the flow off so it would be clear and not blurry but there is pretty good flow

OP
OP
ReeferTang44

ReeferTang44

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lighting, flow and (stable) parameters - as mentioned above from several others - are key.

* Flowerpots can be temperamental at times (flow is important)
* Birds nests can be finicky (stable parameters help)

Q: Is that a 0.9ppm phosphate reading or 0.09ppm?
Q: Do you run any GFO in a reactor (etc.) in your tank?

(Sorry if I missed answers to the above in earlier replies).
I don’t run gfo haven’t quite figured that out the people at wwc where like it can be challenging according to them they said stick to water changes

OP
OP
ReeferTang44

ReeferTang44

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so I did t see this before but what could be causing this to happen
Today
IMG_7993.jpeg
IMG_7992.jpeg

Last Friday
IMG_7994.png
IMG_7995.png

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Ok so I did t see this before but what could be causing this to happen
Today
IMG_7993.jpeg
IMG_7992.jpeg

Last Friday
IMG_7994.png
IMG_7995.png
Mine does that sometimes. Snails, fish, your hand... Something could have "scared it" so it retracted. Do you notice it happening at a specific time that might coincide with a light ramp up/down or a powerhead changing flow intensity or direction?

OP
OP
ReeferTang44

ReeferTang44

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine does that sometimes. Snails, fish, your hand... Something could have "scared it" so it retracted. Do you notice it happening at a specific time that might coincide with a light ramp up/down or a powerhead changing flow intensity or direction?
I believe it more chemistry than anything just because it’s been good for weeks before this

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Then your answer has already been given - stability. Corals (and fish) like stable water parameters. Don't "chase numbers" or you can cause more harm than good. Corals can have bad days here and there and trying to adjust quickly to fix a perceived problem can be worse than what you're trying to fix.

I've had alkalinity up to 12.4 and down to 6.8 without losing anything. I adjusted back slowly to where I wanted it and all was good.

I have high nitrates (flashing at 75+) and nothing seems affected by it, so I'm slowly trying to bring that under control.

I've had 0 phosphates and my SPS really started going downhill so I slowly brought those up to 0.14 where I try to stay and I haven't had really any problems from "high" phosphates.

My magnesium rides right around 1260 which is low, I've brought them up to 1350 and they tend to fall back down with no real issues (except a slow down in growth).

My calcium is at 490 - high and I can't even seem to bring it down.

Stability. When I rush and make a decision to bump something up or down, I've had corals really sulk for a day or two or just die overnight.

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Also, please understand I'm far from being an expert, just trying to help where I can.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 11 42.3%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 14 53.8%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 1 3.8%
Back