How do y'all afford the hobby?

  • Thread starter Thread starter AlexR9364
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None
For my recent new build, I made a list of all the equipment I wanted to use. Then I spent the better part of the past year just patiently waiting for various equipment on my list to popup used for sale in my local reefer group on Facebook. I was in no hurry to get everything, so I saved quite a lot of money doing that. I bought my Reefer 300XL for ~50% of what I'd have paid new. Great deals on some kessil A360x's. An RSK300 skimmer. Wife bought me a couple Nero 5's for Christmas last year. I think the only thing I really went out and bought new was the return pump, the roller filter, and recently I purchased a Mastertronic, an Alkatronic, and a 4 head doser. It's still quiet an expensive hobby but I was able to save a decent amount that way. Luckily my wife doesn't really care about me spending money on hobbies. And compared to my other hobby... driving race cars this isn't too bad, haha.
 

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 9 21.4%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 5 11.9%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 11 26.2%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 2 4.8%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 1 2.4%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 2 4.8%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 3 7.1%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 9 21.4%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new