How do you keep a parasite-free tank?

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not describe my aquarium system as parasite free. I would describe it as parasitic controlled however. I try to choose fish that are healthy to start with. I do not QT them in a separate system but rather I acclimate them in my 20 g long sump. That way they acclimate to the water conditions in the tank that they are going to be in but they do not have to adjust to that while dealing with the stress of the bullies who already live there. When I do introduce them into the display, I try to introduce multiple fish at the same time. That helps spread out the bullying. Also I do it at night with the moonlight LEDs on. That way the original fish go to bed while the new fish can learn their new surroundings.

Anyway, I have not had a parasitic outbreak in years. I should also point out that my display has been set up since 2016 and the live rock has been in my tanks for 20 years. That means my tank system is very stable which is important.

Aquaristexhibit

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the only way to try and have a parasite free system is if you QT everything that goes into your tank for long periods of time.

Parasites can come in frag plugs, fish and even a drop of water form another tank.

QT fish to me is a good process to observe and make sure fish is healthy before adding to DT, also this stage you will pickup if there is any harmfull parasites on fish and treat before it reaches DT.

Most tanks have parasites, its managable, however knowing which ones can swipe out a tank is important.

Feeding the right stuff and keeping the livestock immune system high is very important.
100% the only way to eliminate parasites and fish sickness is to quarantine everything (fish, coral, rock, inverts, sand) for 76 days.

OP
OP
Gogol_frag

Gogol_frag

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not describe my aquarium system as parasite free. I would describe it as parasitic controlled however. I try to choose fish that are healthy to start with. I do not QT them in a separate system but rather I acclimate them in my 20 g long sump. That way they acclimate to the water conditions in the tank that they are going to be in but they do not have to adjust to that while dealing with the stress of the bullies who already live there. When I do introduce them into the display, I try to introduce multiple fish at the same time. That helps spread out the bullying. Also I do it at night with the moonlight LEDs on. That way the original fish go to bed while the new fish can learn their new surroundings.

Anyway, I have not had a parasitic outbreak in years. I should also point out that my display has been set up since 2016 and the live rock has been in my tanks for 20 years. That means my tank system is very stable which is important.
Thanks vlangel. That option is inapplicable for me, since I don't have a sump. But I like the general idea. For me the fishes and snails are the keepers of my coral garden so it will be an under-crowded setup. Snails I will QT my self. Fishes, I will source from Dr. Reef.

Also, I feed live - 3 phtos and 2 zoos, and will supplement with Reef Nutritions's TD Chromaboost (this is dependant on feeding response) Fish seem to love this stuff.

Seems like you can't do much but play the percentage-game.

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t. I think it’s better to focus on overall health (water chemistry and nutrition). I think it’s unreasonable to expect to have a completely pest free tank while also having wild caught fish and live rock.

OP
OP
Gogol_frag

Gogol_frag

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hate that guy and am not speaking to him. :rolleyes:
Paul B, first off thank you for gracing this discussion with your presence. Secondly, are you saying that you have stopped speaking with yourself ? :p

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you’re definitely getting to the management approach, over the eradication approach. It’s the best I can do for now because I don’t have the space for a separate QT yet. Even then I’d still utilize a management approach once the fish are in the display.

Now if only I could find all the goodies like LRS and Rod’s food in China..... (I might be able to bring some LRS from Hong Kong)

OP
OP
Gogol_frag

Gogol_frag

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t. I think it’s better to focus on overall health (water chemistry and nutrition). I think it’s unreasonable to expect to have a completely pest free tank while also having wild caught fish and live rock.
Thank you so much guys!! This seems to be a general consensus then - to maintain a healthy stock, and a watchful eye for bad-dude pests.

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish keeping is becoming a lost art.
I never know what to say in a thread like this. I don't think about disease. I have never had sick fish. I have no idea what I would do if I did. I get stuff from all over. It goes in the tank with the water it came in. I just added 6 animals from Live Aquaria.
I have been told I am lucky. After a while I decided to just continue to be lucky and go on doing what I have done for decades now.
I set up the tank correctly, feed the animals well and keep up with the maintenance. It is literally all I do.

So I hope you have good luck like me.

Viking

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have worked (still do part time actually) in research and the ONLY way to ensure a parasite free disease free aquarium is to QUARANTINE every single time. That's fish corals whatever. The only thing you might consider adding directly is anything purchased dry, stored dry for at least six months and cleaned to an inch of it's 'life' Sorry but quarantine is the only way. Something people might like to consider in the current Covid situation....

Aquaristexhibit

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have worked (still do part time actually) in research and the ONLY way to ensure a parasite free disease free aquarium is to QUARANTINE every single time. That's fish corals whatever. The only thing you might consider adding directly is anything purchased dry, stored dry for at least six months and cleaned to an inch of it's 'life' Sorry but quarantine is the only way. Something people might like to consider in the current Covid situation....
100%

Back