How do you keep your house from smelling like a pet store

tableforglasses

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know a lot of people say your tank shouldn't smell but my basement always smells like a fish store. Between the fish food and the skimmers and more, my wife is always complaining about how it smells so bad. Has anyone found anything that works well to help keep the overall smell down. It may just be a byproduct that can't be solved but figured I would check.
Thanks

Sebastiancrab

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know a lot of people say your tank shouldn't smell but my basement always smells like a fish store. Between the fish food and the skimmers and more, my wife is always complaining about how it smells so bad. Has anyone found anything that works well to help keep the overall smell down. It may just be a byproduct that can't be solved but figured I would check.
Thanks
A dehumidifier might be in order.

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, I don't know what you are talking about, LOL!!! Maybe I am just used to it.

Fernthereefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good ventilation if possible, carbon in sump, dehumidifier for me.

I have two aquarium in the same basement room, 54 + 10 gal sump and 90 gal. So far so good. Although when humidity reaches 60% you do smell it a little.

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run 5 tanks in a small basement.

Clean skimmers regularly, and a dehumidifier.

I also use these carbon packets I found on amazon I made a post about. Really works for me!

OP
OP
T

tableforglasses

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These are great suggestions. I have a dehumidifier in the basement already I will get it up and running near the tank and check out the air filter as well.

Sebastiancrab

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These are great suggestions. I have a dehumidifier in the basement already I will get it up and running near the tank and check out the air filter as well.
If you want to make your wife really happy, get her a gift certificate to Yankee Candles!

TriggerFinger

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These bags of carbon you can buy that absorb odors from the air. The ones I bought have to be taken outside to dry out in the sun periodically. They work really well at absorbing the musty smell

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Small carbon reactor in my 120.
Bag of carbon in my frag system.

120 is in the living room with no smell.

45 frag/lagoon system is in a seperate room with 10 snakes and no smell.

Clean skimmers twice a week.

3 cats too.
Wife is OCD so the house is always clean.

Cat uses the box and it gets cleaned. Im lucky lol!

Good vertilation with ceiling fan in living room and 2 in the frag/snake room.

Victor_C3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought two household ozone generators from Amazon. They work pretty for my 900-1,100 sqft apartment. Between them and my central air/heating, /i have no problems with smell or humidity.

They eliminate about 95% of all odors in my apartment and I certainly recommend them. Every once in a while I get a whiff of ozone, but that is usually when I walk past it and the device automatically kicks on to high.

For what it’s worth, I have roughly 250-300 gallons of saltwater between my display, sump, and other odds and ends. None of it is covered. Roughly 1.5 gallons evaporate per day.

95BC34D7-EAC4-47B8-B2B3-9C1D7DA6C73F.jpeg

2AF0D07C-426B-44A1-B388-5CD4A9736B35.jpeg

Joseph Disalvo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Carbon. I run 1 bag in a 120 g in a small room. Stinks when I feed my mycies 20 min later it’s gone. (Ask my wife)

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reminds me of that commercial “Nose Blind” ... somehow I’m picturing a attractive wife/mom walking into a room and giant dead fish are hanging from the ceiling .... :)
My wife knows when I've been working in rain gear all day. I get musty "hatchery hair". Thankfully she likes dogs.

Get a cat and put the litter box down there, that will cover up the fish smell ;Vomit .

I wonder if an air purifier would work as well.

My wife puts coffee grounds in places when we have a mouse die in the walls....build a coffee bar down there:cool:.

Aframereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put carbon on the top of the skimmer where the air exits. Also run a dehumidifier 10 months out of a year.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back