How do you know when you've got enough pods for a mandarin.

TSM Aquatics

Spare time

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
As soon as my 116 gallon tank cycled I added a bottle of Tigger pods to the tank to start developing a copepod population for my future mandarin dragonet. At this point it's been over a month since seeding and I have TONS of pods crawling on the glass of my tank. I'm assuming since the pods are on the grass that they're also in the sump and sand bed. How long should I wait before adding the mandarin and should I still continue to seed the tank from time to time? I have a fuge in the sump and am 3D printing a copepod/amphipod breeder as well to try and keep the population healthy.

Also, would it be beneficial to add other types of pods like tisbe pods? I'm not sure if it's good to have diversity or not.

Tigger pods will not survive in the display and if they are in a refugium they really should be fed phytoplankton daily.

I would add apocalypse and tisbe pods or some other mix that is better at hiding from predators.

But really the big thing is to keep dosing phyto to keep them flourishing

RAP

L Sean Hubbard

View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
I just got a mandarin a couple weeks ago. Used live brine from my lfs to train it to eat frozen. Gotta leave powerhead off for an hour, since it's not a super aggressive eater.

I also have Masstick, which I will likely try, since that's supposed to be good for finicky eaters.

Reef257

View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Not sure how .maybe luck I got a red fin mandarin which eats hikari extreme seaweed small once. Hes quite big .I try to grab a video if can .my tank is full of tangs soni try my best to keep fish collection slower to tank .

except for mandarin and come wrasse .maybe all start to get used to it

Reef Nutrition

We Feed Your Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
As soon as my 116 gallon tank cycled I added a bottle of Tigger pods to the tank to start developing a copepod population for my future mandarin dragonet. At this point it's been over a month since seeding and I have TONS of pods crawling on the glass of my tank. I'm assuming since the pods are on the grass that they're also in the sump and sand bed. How long should I wait before adding the mandarin and should I still continue to seed the tank from time to time? I have a fuge in the sump and am 3D printing a copepod/amphipod breeder as well to try and keep the population healthy.

Also, would it be beneficial to add other types of pods like tisbe pods? I'm not sure if it's good to have diversity or not.
We recommend you add our Apocyclops panamensis (Apex-Pods) to the tank for more zooplankton biodiversity. Very good to hear you have such a large system since mandarins can be very voracious and typically wipe out pod populations in a smaller tank.

Also, if you get a Biota mandarin (captive bred) they will eat our TDO Chroma BOOST pellets (size extra small) since that's what they use in their hatchery. But, you still need to have live copepods in the tank since mandarins need a fairly consistent food source.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to reach out.

Best,
Chad

Last edited:

rusty hannon

View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
I currently have 30 gallon sumpless tank. I have three half gallon jars of pod cultures that I harvest once every month. Mandarins are extremely good pod hunters. In a 116 with a fuge you’ll likely be fine. For redundancy I’d have a culture or two to add to the fuge to keep them fat, happy, and healthy.
I decided to go with the tisbe in my cultures because it’s more of the rock/glass/sand clinging type vs the tigers that are more free floating. Atleast that what I found in my research
Please correct me if I’m wrong
Tisbe and apococyclops seem to b their favorite and they stay in substrate and rock. I have a pair I'm hoping to breed good luck they r awesome to watch n if you have a pair their dance is beautiful ❤️

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED lighting

ClownWrangler

View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
This would be something difficult if not impossible to quantify. There are too many factors. However I found that rubble type substrate sustains higher pod populations. Also get rid of any crabs or shrimp, they compete with the PODs for food. Over feed your fish, so the PODs get more leftovers. Also, Adding a divider to the tank and moving the mandarin from one side to the other once per week or so helps the populations recover. Another approach is to have a shelf in your tank the mandarin cant get to with rubble to keep a seed population of PODs going.

Lindaanne60

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0

The best kind of mandarin is captive bred. I got mine from biota. Its an excellent fish. https://shop.thebiotagroup.com/collections/cultured-fish?page=2

BRS

Reefgroupie

NYC Fish N Corals
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0

Soon as u hear a tiny belch you good

rusty hannon

View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
From what I've learned apaococyclops, live n substrate and rocks and r my pairs favorite . I keep a can of them to feed along w some pellets in morning. The tisbe if I'm not mistaken swim mid tank. I seeded my 70 w 25000 pods before adding and add a few thousand every 3/ months. They are fat n happy. Try to get a few cans of apacocyclops, I save bubble packs from other frozen foods and freeze cube after opening can and it works great.