How do you move a big tank?

SmCaudata

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone. I'm looking to build a 200g or so tank. I'm thinking either IM Ext or a custom Miracles. Regardless, both do curbside delivery.

How do people get these tanks in the house and on the stand? I live in an are where there are no saltwater stores and only one freshwater. Custom installers are 2 - 3 hours away. I've sent messages online, emailed, and phoned several and haven't heard back, which is concerning. It's surprising to see companies not respond when people are trying to give them work and money. Well one responded, but he wants to do the full install with equipment and plumbing, not just a tank move. I'm waiting on a quote because I would pay something to save hassle and time, but there's a limit to what that will be for me.

I've also sent a message to a local moving and piano moving company. Again, no response.

So, I guess I'm looking here to see what others have done. I don't want to damage the seams or glass through improper handling. Sort of at loss.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hello everyone. I'm looking to build a 200g or so tank. I'm thinking either IM Ext or a custom Miracles. Regardless, both do curbside delivery.

How do people get these tanks in the house and on the stand? I live in an are where there are no saltwater stores and only one freshwater. Custom installers are 2 - 3 hours away. I've sent messages online, emailed, and phoned several and haven't heard back, which is concerning. It's surprising to see companies not respond when people are trying to give them work and money. Well one responded, but he wants to do the full install with equipment and plumbing, not just a tank move. I'm waiting on a quote because I would pay something to save hassle and time, but there's a limit to what that will be for me.

I've also sent a message to a local moving and piano moving company. Again, no response.

So, I guess I'm looking here to see what others have done. I don't want to damage the seams or glass through improper handling. Sort of at loss.
I used 6 guys for a 660g
You will need 2-3 guys . A dolly also comes in handy

minorhero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do yourself a favor and buy some suction cup handles, a pair for every person moving it in. Also make sure the thing can actually fit through doors, around corners etc. Then use task rabbit app to hire some big guys for an hour.

OP
OP
S

SmCaudata

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm guessing that since the tank is meant to hold 1600lb of water, it is fairly durable when it comes to handling provided I'm not banging it into things?

Jbell370

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Suction cups for sure, make sure it fits which by the size it should, I had no issue with mine at 32" wide. 3 of us got it downstairs, 2 of us lifted it with the suction cups on to the stand. Don't hit anything, don't rest it on the corners etc, but it's pretty easy. I just helped my buddy with his frag tank, 8' x 3' and 4 of us did that from truck to stand in the basement.

Attachments

• IMG_20220121_174825.jpg
    IMG_20220121_174825.jpg
    140.8 KB · Views: 53
OP
OP
S

SmCaudata

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Suction cups for sure, make sure it fits which by the size it should, I had no issue with mine at 32" wide. 3 of us got it downstairs, 2 of us lifted it with the suction cups on to the stand. Don't hit anything, don't rest it on the corners etc, but it's pretty easy. I just helped my buddy with his frag tank, 8' x 3' and 4 of us did that from truck to stand in the basement.
I will need to measure the service doors, but I have a walkout with sliding door thankfully.

As a followup here. I did more searching and found that Custom Aquariums does a rental program. $61 for 8 of them doesn't seem bad. I may just get 10 in case a few have leak issues.

Utubereefer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where are you from? I’ve heard stories about guys finding construction workers at job sites and asking for help… or even at the local pub. You’ll be surprised how many people wanna help move a massive tank. In my area they bring them to your house on a 18 wheeler and at least help you get it into your garage.

flashsmith

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had a few tanks delivered. My strategy has always been just get it in the garage first and then think the move through. I got a RS 625 xxl a few months ago and paid the dealer to bring it and install the tank. Only time I've ever done that and it was well worth the $400 it cost not to hassle with putting a stand together.Getting the tank in place and level and dealing with all the packing material. Absolutely no way my wife and I could have put that tank on the stand and I'm not small..

OP
OP
S

SmCaudata

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had a few tanks delivered. My strategy has always been just get it in the garage first and then think the move through. I got a RS 625 xxl a few months ago and paid the dealer to bring it and install the tank. Only time I've ever done that and it was well worth the $400 it cost not to hassle with putting a stand together.Getting the tank in place and level and dealing with all the packing material. Absolutely no way my wife and I could have put that tank on the stand and I'm not small..
That's kind of what I was thinking. Thing is that a lot of the larger tanks are shipped straight from the manufacturer now so the dealers aren't all that involved. I may reach out again to one of the dealers in the cities. I was hoping I could get New Wave Aquaria to just put the tank on the stand for me since I'll reasonably be getting corals and such from them in the future when I buy from shops. They have an install division but they are one of the shops that didn't return my request...

flashsmith

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The big tanks with 3/4 glass are no joke trying to move them around. Don't let that deter you though. It will work out. Maybe there is a local reef club around you that would be willing to help you out with setup for a few beers.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 22 31.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 19 27.1%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 8.6%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 7.1%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 17 24.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back