How do you use siporax ?

KJoFan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope, two dips in freshwater will not kill any bacteria. Still if they do they can grow back up much faster than we can imagine. Dont underestimate the power of bacteria....lol. Actually they are always dying and regenerating in your system so dont worry much. My cleaning is due this weekend so I will show you how that water looks like after 2 dips. Also they grow a lot of sponge in them.
How many liters are you using in your system? Are you using any AF Life Biofil or just Siporax?

Anirban

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I cover mine at the top in filter wool I’m hoping that this catches a lot of the crap
Lol...I run filter socks and but still get a lot of craps. Still with all those crap my system runs at 0.05 or less NO3 and 0.01 PO4 without any algae. I feed 3 times a day with twice with my own recipe of frozen food (LRS reef frenzy, reef roid, lrs fish eggs, Nori, mysis, calanus all blended in) and once pellet. I run skimmer, filter socks, and siporax. I dont have much rock in my system but siporax complement that.

Anirban

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
How many liters are you using in your system? Are you using any AF Life Biofil or just Siporax?
In my 55 gallon total water volume I have approx 3 litre of siporax (2litre of 25mm and 1 litre of 15mm). I have some biofil (1/4 litre or even less) which I change after every 45 days and some zeolite (1/2 litre) which I change monthly.

Jr'sReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was interested in making a large section of my sump into a siporax chamber. However I don’t want to be plucking them out to clean them. So I was thinking. If I line the bottom with an air stone mat, and then place the siporax over it stacked as everyone does and have the mat turn on every night for an hour say like 3-4am on a timer. Would this keep it clear from clogging? Good idea or not a good idea?

Jr'sReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know most people make baskets but I honestly rather not walk across the house with a dripping basket of fish detritus. That’s why I thought of that idea. Now what is the general thought, can it work?

Midrats

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm, elevated silicates, now I'm not sure I want to use the Siporax I just ordered.

remi010

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make sure you rinse the Siporax very well before placing in your aquarium.

You can use it either way as long as you have good flow through the noodles.

Siporax gives beneficial bacteria millions of tiny surfaces to colonize. It takes time but as your beneficial bacterium grow your nitrates will come down.

This is how you use Siporax. The downside is it does not come with any bacteria on it.

If you need to boost your bacteria population then I'd suggest you get some Aquaforest Life Bio Fil.

It comes pre seeded with bacteria and is ready to use immediately. I use both products actually in unison.

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/life-bio-fil-medium-aquaforest.html

Here is a link to a supplier.

Here is a link to the Aquaforest website with the product description.

http://aquaforest.eu/en/product/life-bio-fil/
I have 300 liters, and I do not get the nitrate down either. It is now 10 ppm and I want to go to 1 ppm. I do not feed much either, and there is no sand in the tank. Also use pro-bio and np pro, zeomix 200 gram and 150 gram phosphate minus. Also use some life bio fill and the bb king foams dry. Phosphate is stable at 0.025. Now I am working on vodka to reduce it but read that it is not advised. Can I use siporax better or do you have other tips?

120reefkeeper

Reef keeping with Military Precision!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 300 liters, and I do not get the nitrate down either. It is now 10 ppm and I want to go to 1 ppm. I do not feed much either, and there is no sand in the tank. Also use pro-bio and np pro, zeomix 200 gram and 150 gram phosphate minus. Also use some life bio fill and the bb king foams dry. Phosphate is stable at 0.025. Now I am working on vodka to reduce it but read that it is not advised. Can I use siporax better or do you have other tips?

Another tip would be to use Aquaforest Zeo mix. If you decide to use this product please start at 1/4 the recommended amount and increase as needed. This will definitely help with the nitrate issue you have. Here is a link with the Product description.

https://aquaforest.eu/en/product/zeomix/

Foothill Corals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm, elevated silicates, now I'm not sure I want to use the Siporax I just ordered.

FWIW. I have used Siporax for many years (never in an anaerobic environment). I have 3 liters in both of my tanks and do not have elevated Silica per ICP testing. One tank is five years old the other is 4 months.

Last edited:

remi010

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another tip would be to use Aquaforest Zeo mix. If you decide to use this product please start at 1/4 the recommended amount and increase as needed. This will definitely help with the nitrate issue you have. Here is a link with the Product description.

https://aquaforest.eu/en/product/zeomix/
As I told you, I have been using Zeomix for a number of months, this is about 200 grams at 300 liters. Could it be that pro bio s and np pro do not work well because I do not use sand and can I continue with vodka?

snappa1953

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd also like to know why 25 vs 15mm. I'm guessing it is flow through?

Anirban

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It is just easy to clean vs hard to clean. Nothing more. Smaller ones are pretty hard to clean after long term use.

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I think it has to do with lower flow/detritus buildup in the smaller size.

doughboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the 15mm one and it seems to be fine. It comes in a net/bag and I just place it in a low flow section in the sump.
every few water change, I take out the bag, shake it in the old tank water just siphoned out, then put it back.
whether it helps or not, I don't really know. I do know I only need to clean the DT glass once a week since I started dosing NOPOX with the siporax in the sump. previous to dosing nopox and using siporax only, I had to clean the DT glass like every other day. I'm tempted to remove the siporax, but figured if it ain't broke, don't fix it, so I am just leaving it in the sump.

Fishnugget

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting read, for years I always had interest in Siporax but after reading about the elevated Si under anaerobic conditions, my interest is now at a stand still. I currently have 20-25ppm nitrates but from all the videos and reading, 20ppm Nitrates is the new trend for coral sps coloration. I dont understand why people would run Siporax under aerobic conditions, it seems you would need a lot more.

Foothill Corals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t over think it. There is no need to use it under anaerobic conditions. Just leave it in the bags and put it in a medium to high flow area of the sump. You do not need to get fancy and stack them, just pull them out once or twice a year and rinse it in a bucket of clean tank water. I have always used the smaller version but I’m sure they both work equally well. You do not seem to need that much to work IME I am using 3 litters in a 185 rite now.

Fishnugget

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Foothill Corals your right, the smaller size in theory should work better because it will provide more surface area per sq ft for bacteria to live in. The push for larger size was only because of detritus build up, easier to clean, etc. I got a 200 gallon, with about 250 gallons total volume if you include sump and refugium. How many liters should I go with?

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 154 61.4%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 68 27.1%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 88 35.1%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 43 17.1%
  • Other

Votes: 67 26.7%
Back