How do you use siporax ?

Abhishek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, my tank is constantly having high nitrates and hence got myself around 6 liters of 25 mm pond siporax .
I was planning to use eggcrate and place like 4 liters of siporax in eggcrate while the rest in a reactor .
Which is a better option and how do you use siporax ?

Regards,
Abhishek

120reefkeeper

Reef keeping with Military Precision!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, my tank is constantly having high nitrates and hence got myself around 6 liters of 25 mm pond siporax .
I was planning to use eggcrate and place like 4 liters of siporax in eggcrate while the rest in a reactor .
Which is a better option and how do you use siporax ?

Regards,
Abhishek

Make sure you rinse the Siporax very well before placing in your aquarium.

You can use it either way as long as you have good flow through the noodles.

Siporax gives beneficial bacteria millions of tiny surfaces to colonize. It takes time but as your beneficial bacterium grow your nitrates will come down.

This is how you use Siporax. The downside is it does not come with any bacteria on it.

If you need to boost your bacteria population then I'd suggest you get some Aquaforest Life Bio Fil.

It comes pre seeded with bacteria and is ready to use immediately. I use both products actually in unison.

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/life-bio-fil-medium-aquaforest.html

Here is a link to a supplier.

Here is a link to the Aquaforest website with the product description.

http://aquaforest.eu/en/product/life-bio-fil/

120reefkeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just purchased 3 boxes of siporax for my sump. I was surprised to see each box has a bottle of bacteria in it.

Huh never got that when I bought the 25mm noodles. Is that the same size you have?? Or do you have the small 10mm??

OP
OP
Abhishek

Abhishek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make sure you rinse the Siporax very well before placing in your aquarium.

You can use it either way as long as you have good flow through the noodles.

Siporax gives beneficial bacteria millions of tiny surfaces to colonize. It takes time but as your beneficial bacterium grow your nitrates will come down.

This is how you use Siporax. The downside is it does not come with any bacteria on it.

If you need to boost your bacteria population then I'd suggest you get some Aquaforest Life Bio Fil.

It comes pre seeded with bacteria and is ready to use immediately. I use both products actually in unison.

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/life-bio-fil-medium-aquaforest.html

Here is a link to a supplier.

Here is a link to the Aquaforest website with the product description.

http://aquaforest.eu/en/product/life-bio-fil/

Thanks for the reply . Well I stacked them in an eggcrate in a low flow place . Another 5 liters on the way .

With Aquaforest bio fill , doesn't it have to be replaced 10% every month ?

Regards,
Abhishek

120reefkeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply . Well I stacked them in an eggcrate in a low flow place . Another 5 liters on the way .

With Aquaforest bio fill , doesn't it have to be replaced 10% every month ?

Regards,
Abhishek

I wouldn't say you want the Siporax in a low flow area.

I added a small pump in my sump with my 20L of siporax. I'd say medium flow . I also have mine in an eggcrate box.

True with the Aquaforest product they recommend that you change out 10% and I do do this.

The Life Bio Fil will definitely jump start the process and will help seed the Siporax.

8132836b36e66a7831ed667e22805959.jpg

120reefkeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh I just read the bottle in your picture. It clearly states it's for freshwater.

The noodles are fine but the bacteria that comes with it is a no go.

Dsnakes

Knight Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh I just read the bottle in your picture. It clearly states it's for freshwater.

The noodles are fine but the bacteria that comes with it is a no go.
Thanks for pointing that out. I definately did not look close enough. Glad I haven't opened it yet! I wish that they wouldn't put clownfish on the box...

120reefkeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for pointing that out. I definately did not look close enough. Glad I haven't opened it yet! I wish that they wouldn't put clownfish on the box...

Typically Siporax is used in fresh water systems and ponds.

As reef keepers we have learned it also works great for nitrate reduction in our home aquariums.

You can use those noodles but I would suggest the 25mm size . More surface area and they won't clog up as fast or at all with proper flow. [emoji4]

It will take some time for your bacteria population to colonize the noodles but you can boost this with the Aquaforest Life Bio Fil. [emoji6]

CoralWealth

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
so I have high nitrates and I am thinking of adding this to my 180 gallon dt and 40 gallon sump, how much do you guys recommend me using?

I have around 12 inches underneath my skimmer that is on a stand, could I place it in there and add a 800 gph powerhead along with the flow of the sump that is around 1000 gph and be fine? I think this is the best and safest way for me to lower my nitrates and not worry about dosing something every single day.

OP
OP
Abhishek

Abhishek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so I have high nitrates and I am thinking of adding this to my 180 gallon dt and 40 gallon sump, how much do you guys recommend me using?

I have around 12 inches underneath my skimmer that is on a stand, could I place it in there and add a 800 gph powerhead along with the flow of the sump that is around 1000 gph and be fine? I think this is the best and safest way for me to lower my nitrates and not worry about dosing something every single day.

Well I use around 10 liters of 25mm pond siporax stacked in diy eggcrates for a 90 gallon system .
So I would use around 20 liters or more for your system .
Please make sure it's the 25mm pond siporax and not the 15mm ones .

Regards,
Abhishek

CoralWealth

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Well I use around 10 liters of 25mm pond siporax stacked in diy eggcrates for a 90 gallon system .
So I would use around 20 liters or more for your system .
Please make sure it's the 25mm pond siporax and not the 15mm ones .

Regards,
Abhishek

How long did it take for it to start bringing down the nitrates and did you do anything to speed that up?

Also why do I have to use the 25mm and not the 15mm, I have seen some people use the 15mm and they are much easier to come by the 25mm but if we are suppose to only use the 25m, I will use them.

Just to give myself an idea, how much space would 1 liter of the 25mm take up? Trying to see how much space I need in my sump.

OP
OP
Abhishek

Abhishek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long did it take for it to start bringing down the nitrates and did you do anything to speed that up?

Also why do I have to use the 25mm and not the 15mm, I have seen some people use the 15mm and they are much easier to come by the 25mm but if we are suppose to only use the 25m, I will use them.

Just to give myself an idea, how much space would 1 liter of the 25mm take up? Trying to see how much space I need in my sump.

In my experience , 15 mm collected and clogged way too easily . 25mm if you can find , doesn't get clogged easily . More surface area too and way easier to stack .

It took me close to 2 months to bring my nitrates down coupled with nopox dosing .
Am at 8 ppm as of yesterday compared to 40 I was 2 months earlier .

I shall attach a pic of my sump once I get home but I think you can accommodate 6-7 liters in a 8 in z8 in x8 in egg crate basket .

Regards,
Abhishek

CoralWealth

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
In my experience , 15 mm collected and clogged way too easily . 25mm if you can find , doesn't get clogged easily . More surface area too and way easier to stack .

It took me close to 2 months to bring my nitrates down coupled with nopox dosing .
Am at 8 ppm as of yesterday compared to 40 I was 2 months earlier .

I shall attach a pic of my sump once I get home but I think you can accommodate 6-7 liters in a 8 in z8 in x8 in egg crate basket .

Regards,
Abhishek

Thanks alot and okay I have plenty of space then. I wonder if it is better to stack on top of eachother or next to eachother? My area I have under the skimmer is around 17 long by 17 wide and around 8 inches tall.

OP
OP
Abhishek

Abhishek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 19.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back